Parking, how much do you pay?

STREETWORK 19:20 27 Apr 2007

There is something happening in your neighbourhood, the council has increased parking charges.

In our town, when introduced 4 years ago it cost 20p to park for up to 1 hour. This has increased each year even after the council said it will not be a revenue making scheme, but will allow for more parking as it will stop people parking there all day. It has now been increased to 60p per hour, £1 for 2 hours, £1.50 for 4 hours and £3.00 all day.

Its only a small town, but what do you pay for the privilege of parking in your patch?...

Jackcoms 19:23 27 Apr 2007

I don't park in town, I walk there.

However, if I did park, it works out at 1p per minute.

Rigga 19:29 27 Apr 2007

Streetwork you're lucky, in Wolverhampton street parking is 50p for 20mins.

Which seems quite high to me, and a complete revenue raising exercise for the council.

However there are multi storey car parks that are slightly cheaper, not sure how much they are exactly.

R.

donki 19:35 27 Apr 2007

I work in belfast and commute 40 miles each day, any parking in belfast centre is at least £1.50/hour. I found "park and ride" from my local bus depot is cheaper and i get a nice nap foe an hour every morning.

Woolwell 19:36 27 Apr 2007

Plymouth has a minimum of £1 for 1 hr. And charges for evening and Sunday parking in its carparks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:39 27 Apr 2007

...and cerebrally challenged town councillors in our area cannot understand why people prefer to shop at out of town stores/malls and why the town centre is like a ghost town on Saturday afternoons and most other days.

G

powerless 19:42 27 Apr 2007

Well as a permit holder I pay £27.50 a year to park on the avenue. Non permit holders can park for up to two hours and any longer reguires me to fill out a pass [£5 for a book of 20] so they can stay longer. It's only in effect Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.

On another street [where my permit is also valid] they do have a pay and display but I do not know the prices.

jack 19:55 27 Apr 2007

How about NOTHING AT ALL
A new town centre shopping development allows 2 hours free then fee after that, I can do all I have to in less than an hour,
Better than that I dont have to get the car out at all if it is small stuff- simply walk to the corner to the road and pick up 'FastTrack' a bus system that runs on a dedicated track- that changes the traffic lights into its favour where it crosses intersections, runs every ten minutes into town centre or to local Hospital/Bluewater/Gravesend
all at clickerdy-click speed- and it is FREE

oresome 20:15 27 Apr 2007

I have an aversion to paying to park. I live on the outskirts of a major city and have not visited the centre to shop more than once in the last 25 years.

Roadside parking is around 70p for 20 mins I think with a maximum stay of 2 hrs.

I do go into the centre to undertake repairs at customers premises. As I am never sure how long they will take, I usually put in for 2 hrs.

Here's the dilemma. If I need parts I have to go away and call back sometime later in the day. Now you can't revisit the same zone within a prescibed time.......something like 4 hrs...... but I have never been able to determine where the zones start and finish.

Bingalau 20:29 27 Apr 2007

I've not taken my car into Liverpool for donkey's years now. I park at our local railway station and take the train, The train is free to us wrinklies and there is no room to park in Liverpool anyway. So I save on petrol and on parking fees. The train is also quicker. (Pity it was off last time I wanted to go to town). There's the rub!

superhoops 20:31 27 Apr 2007

Parts of Central London are £9.60 for max 2 hours. And after you have paid the £8 congestion charge just for the priviledge of being there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)