Parcelforce

morddwyd 11:25 14 Dec 2014

What is it with Parcelforce?

Despite the fact that I live in specially adapted accommodation with a standing request to leave parcels in a designated safe place they refuse to do so, insisting on leaving them somewhere for collection, thereby negating the whole purpose of on-line shopping.

They are the only carriers to do this and I'm sure it's illegal.

bumpkin 21:35 06 Jan 2015

There should be exceptions for those unable to sign I agree, however it is the dishonesty of some that would claim not to have received their items that causes the issue of requiring a signature. Delivering it to a private address that you cannot get does seem a bit odd though even if they got a signature.

bumpkin 21:39 06 Jan 2015

Cross posting with wee eddie who seems to be saying the same thing.

wee eddie 23:23 06 Jan 2015

How did they decide which Private Address (which you cannot get to) to deliver the parcel to?

Perhaps you should consider doing as I do and put a Post It Note on the door when I am unavailable

morddwyd 19:40 07 Jan 2015

Firstly I don't live in Glasgow, but a small east coast community, opposite a police station!

I take the point about dishonesty, but every other carrier in the country, both national and international, are happy to use my designated safe place, and have been doing so without problems for fifteen years or so (and I do most of me shopping on line, maybe a dozen parcels a week, sometimes two or three a day). As I said before, most of them take a photo of the notice explaining my disability which is permanently displayed, and sometimes also of the delivery in my safe place, for their own protection.

What do I want them fo do about it? Deliver my parcel or return it to sender, not give it to a total stranger, who may be the biggest rogue under the sun for all I know, or maybe a serial OAP basher!

Not much point in telling me not to open my door to strangers, but then for me to go knocking on strangers' doors myself!

bumpkin 22:45 07 Jan 2015

I take your points entirely and agree with you but the thing that puzzles me (though not your problem or fault) is where did they get the other delivery address from.

spuds 00:07 08 Jan 2015

"Perhaps you should consider doing as I do and put a Post It Note on the door when I am unavailable"

Around my neck of the woods, the Royal Mail and ParcelForce employees are instructed not to read noticed stuck on doors, due to the possibility of a wrongful act being committed. Some of the regular staff might turn a blind eye to this rule, if they know the customer. New people on the round will usually not. The same applies regarding neighbours offering to take other people item in, so saving on re-deliveries etc.

wee eddie 00:55 08 Jan 2015

Good point

morddwyd 08:16 08 Jan 2015

Obviously I don't need a Post It, as there is a permanently delayed notice, not unusual in disabled accommodation.

Over time I have had deliveries of several television televisions (including a 50 in smart one), 3 laptops, 4 smartphones, some tablets (electronic!), carpet, clothing, electrical goods (including a microwave), to say nothing of smoked cods' roe, llama steaks, frozen fish, medicines, toiletries, and of course, my brown sauce!

No problems with any of them.

Update this morning, I have had an acknowledgement from Gary Simpson, Parcelforce CEO, who has a team looking into it.

spuds 09:36 08 Jan 2015

"Obviously I don't need a Post It, as there is a permanently delayed notice, not unusual in disabled accommodation."

I also display a large sign on the door, including one supplied by the police, local council and trading standards, regarding cold calling among other things. At times though, some caller's do not take any notice of them, either because they ignore them, or are instructed not to read them.

I have even had incidents were couriers have not used any of the door bell buttons (3 off), because they believe door bells don't always work. Knocking on a glass panel on a porch door, with other doors dividing the sound, just does not work. We have even had incidents of people using all the three door bell buttons (as requested), and made an apology for doing so.

Whatever the case, its a no win situation for all parties concerned.

morddwyd 12:10 09 Jan 2015

Further update.

I have now heard back from the CEO's team.

They rightly say, as has been pointed out here, that their contract is with the seller, not with me, and requires them to deliver against a signature.

They insist that they have done this, and can take the matter no further. The fact that they have delivered it to a total stranger in another postal district, a private householder and not a depot, seems to me to be a pretty liberal interpretation of their contract obligations!

They also advise that they have revisited the householder concerned, who confirmed that he/she had actually delivered my parcels (it appears there was more than on)to my safe place sometime before Christmas.

This has solved one mystery. As I said, I do most of my shopping on line and get upwards of a dozen parcels a week. In the festive period this probably doubled, and I have to keep a careful check on my bank statements and advice e-mails. This checking had not revealed any missing items and I did not know which supplier to contact! (I did not mention this before as it would have confused things even further!)

They also say they are not subject to disability discrimination legislation, which obviously I intend to dispute.

I have my parcels and we can take this matter no further. It will now be up up Kaliani Lyle, the Scottish Equalities & Human Rights Commissioner, to rule.

This is likely to take some time but I will post her decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)