Parcelforce

morddwyd 11:25 14 Dec 2014

What is it with Parcelforce?

Despite the fact that I live in specially adapted accommodation with a standing request to leave parcels in a designated safe place they refuse to do so, insisting on leaving them somewhere for collection, thereby negating the whole purpose of on-line shopping.

They are the only carriers to do this and I'm sure it's illegal.

Quickbeam 08:48 15 Dec 2014

On a similar note, I've missed a few deliveries lately because unknown to me the doorbell had packed up. Last week I had to go down to the collection office to collect my new wireless doorbell!

BT 12:54 15 Dec 2014

Quickbeam

In actual fact the convenience of a wireless doorbell to ourselves is somewhat self defeating in some circumstances. The caller pushes the button and depending where one has the 'Bell' can't always hear it like they could back when we had a wired bell just behind the door. My Postie usually rings the bell then hammers on the door as well as do some other people. Friends and relatives know its a wireless bell so just push the button.

bumpkin 13:00 15 Dec 2014

I once bought something from Maplin which is only about 4 miles away but I could not be bothered to collect it so paid for delivery. Nobody was here to sign for it so I had to collect it from a depot that was further away than the shop. Served me right for being so lazy, I found it rather amusing in an odd sort of way.

morddwyd 19:44 15 Dec 2014

I think we all agree with the FE's point that delivery is not complete without a signature (where appropriate) and carriers are liable, but surely some allowance must be made where it is physically impossible to provide a signature?

One certainly cannot get a carer to wait around for half a day or longer just to sign for a parcel?

Quickbeam 08:08 16 Dec 2014

Wireless doorbells

I bought this one which has two plugin repeaters, one downstairs and one upstairs.There are some others on Ebay with 4 or 6 or more repeaters should you live in a mansion;-)

Quickbeam 08:14 16 Dec 2014

bumpkin

Quite a lot of Ebay sellers now have a Royal mail or collect from Argos option. Our local Morrisons now has an Inpost collection point, but I've never seen a supplier that uses it yet.

There are a lot of changes taking place in parcel delivery that don't require us to take time off work to take delivery.

spuds 11:00 16 Dec 2014

Regarding door-bells, we have three buttons mounted at the side of the front porch door frame, with a notice clearly stating for the caller to use all the three door bell buttons. We still have people who knock the porch door, which is totally pointless, because any form of knocking cannot be heard throughout the house, so remains unanswered. It seems to be the opinion of some caller's, that door bells don't work, so they don't bother using them.

The three set's we have situated around the property,are two wireless and one wired. The wireless one's consist of a two unit battery type (heavy on batteries) and a two unit device that plugs into the ring main. This particular two unit's also have a 3 pin socket, so the particular power from the ring main can be used for other general purposes. Great device and works very well, if the caller uses the bell buttons.

bumpkin 22:54 16 Dec 2014

"we have three buttons mounted at the side of the front porch door frame, with a notice clearly stating for the caller to use all the three door bell buttons. "

You are optimistic, I only have one bell have repeatedly told friends and our regular postman to always use the bell if they want someone to hear them, still they knock gently on the door before eventually smashing on the knocker like madmen or even phoning us.

spuds 00:39 17 Dec 2014

"still they knock gently on the door before eventually smashing on the knocker like madmen or even phoning us."

In our case the "knocking like madmen" wouldn't work, due to the proximity of the porch and the rest of the house. The phoning might, if they knew the phone number, or the telephone answer machine didn't take the call.

What gets my goat, is finding a 'when you were out' card, and seeing the courier sprinting up the drive, having not made the attempt to wait those few extra moments "because they have an awful lot of deliveries to make that day".

BillSers 04:12 17 Dec 2014

I bought this one which has two plugin repeaters, one downstairs and one upstairs.There are some others on Ebay with 4 or 6 or more repeaters should you live in a mansion;-)

I hear Tony Blair ordered about forty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

The Best Free Fonts Every Designer Should Have 2019

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Xiaomi Mi 10 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs