Pah...Who Needs A Nose Wheel?

SimpleSimon1 11:12 27 Jun 2014

What Nose Wheel

Some inspired thinking and some nifty flying/maneuvering...impressive!

1]: [click here

johndrew 14:41 27 Jun 2014

A very interesting idea which I had never heard of. Obviously the aircraft must have a vertical landing capability but airframe damage should be minimal and removal time reduced to allow continued operation of the flight deck. I suppose the main risk is aligning the aircraft accurately given that both vessel and aircraft are moving independently of each other. Could be fun in rougher seas and/or blustery wind over the deck and would not be practical with the aircraft weight at higher levels or armed.

carver 14:49 27 Jun 2014

I thought it was an advert for an exercise machine for a handicapped hamster.

wiz-king 15:45 27 Jun 2014

I remember when most small planes were 'tail-draggers' like the Cub and the Moth.

john bunyan 15:53 27 Jun 2014

I am just reading an autobiography of "Winkle" Brown , a RN test pilot who flew over 480 types of aircraft, including German aircraft captured towards the end of WW2. At that time "jettisoned" landing / take off gear was used in quite a few makes. See "Unusual Types of gear"

Landing Gear

These were for take off rather than landing though. On a slightly different note I read somewhere that the new F-35B Lightning Joint Strike Fighter's exhaust is so hot (650 deg C) it needs special new concrete. I wonder if the new "Brown's Folly" aircraft carrier's decks will melt?

Hot exhaust

carver 16:34 27 Jun 2014

wiz-king I bet this brings back memories for you from your early flying career.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:49 27 Jun 2014

Impressive flying skill but, I'm disappointed it wasn't a story about Pinocchio.

Woolwell 19:13 27 Jun 2014

To the best of my knowledge the Harrier (or rather the UK Harriers) when we had them could not land with weapons on a carrier nor could it do so at high weights with full fuel load. The Sea King could be landed into a cradle if the wheels tuck up but they could usually be pulled down. The alternative for Harrier and helo was to land on a specially prepared mattress. This would cause damage to both but did mean the aircraft wasn't written off. I don't remember it ever being used though.

The U2 took off with pogos at each wing tip which fell off at take-off as the weight came off. It landed like a glider and ended up tipped on one wing tip.

The F4, Phantoms, required water cooled jet blast deflectors during a catapult launch otherwise the barrier would have melted.

I don't think that the landing heat will be a major problem. However we should never have gone for the vertical take-off version and bit the bullet of extra expense and installed catapults.

Tail draggers, like the Chipmunk, had to be effectively stalled on to the air strip.

Woolwell 19:14 27 Jun 2014

wheels stuck up not tuck up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?