Overseas holiday and car rentals

daz60 18:38 11 Jan 2017

I am looking to go to Cyprus this year and was wondering if anyone has experoence of car hire abroad to share.Is it best to hire online before going or wait till arriving at the airport.Should i be aware of any pitfalls,extra/hidden costs excetera.?

I am looking to stay for possibly two weeks and hiring for one of them,nearest sites i can visit by public transport,i presume.Looking online it looks like there are some reasonable rates so i have a while to decide.

So what is your view,more than it is worth or a chance worth taking.

bumpkin 21:00 11 Jan 2017

Do some research prehand and don't book or pay upfront. Unless you need it immediately or your hotel is really far away get a taxi there to start with. Then look into local hire companies and ask other tourists. There are always hidden costs but if you have not yet paid anything then you can go elsewhere if you find them unacceptable, something that you can't do if you have prepaid the basic hire cost. Bad experiences myself, maybe just unlucky but be careful.

bumpkin 21:10 11 Jan 2017

An example, free hire car in USA ended up being £600 for 2Wks. It would have been less or the same to get unlimited taxi services within reason and without all the hassle of driving. That was about 25Yrs ago.

caccy 21:10 11 Jan 2017

Only hired in the USA and never had a problem.

As an aside, you can get hire car insurance here in the UK a lot cheaper, which means you do not have to use the hire companies insurance

bumpkin 21:44 11 Jan 2017

Valid point caccy, all I am trying to say is look into these things before hand rather than get caught out.

Forum Editor 10:06 12 Jan 2017

Book the car before you travel. I have been hiring cars for many years, in many locations all over the world, and experience has taught me to hire cars from a reputable company (Avis, Hertz, etc) every time. Local firms will see you as a captive audience - they know you have to have a car, and will sometimes try to rip you off. Don't take a chance, just to try to save a few extra pounds - it's not worth it.

Take out a separate insurance policy before you travel, to cover you in the event of a claim on the car hire company's standard policy. You will be offered additional cover by the car hire company when you collect the car - it provides extra cover to pay for the excess charge on the standard policy. The excess is likely to be in the region of £1500.

If you have an accident, you will have to pay the excess - it will be deducted from your credit card - regardless of who was at fault. The hire company's charge for the additional cover will be exorbitant, but you can cover yourself before you travel for just a few pounds. Tell the car hire desk that you have your own cover.

Read about how to get cover here.

Other than that, make sure that the car is returned with a full tank of petrol - the hire company will charge you much more than a petrol station to top up the tank.

Don't forget to take your driving licence with you!

Read up on local traffic regulations for your destination before you go.

If you can, take a satnav with a map for your destination on it. You will be glad you did, as navigation will be one less thing to worry about.

Have a great trip!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder