Out of control space vandalism

oresome 10:43 26 Jan 2018

A New Zealand company has launched what has been described as a giant disco ball into space and it will become the brightest object in the night sky for the nine months it's expected to remain in orbit.

Should there be some international policing of what is sent into space?

click here

Belatucadrus 11:03 26 Jan 2018

Maybe the Americans can use it to test the ASM-135, they must have some old stock laying about somewhere.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 26 Jan 2018

Space "adverts" next then?

Aitchbee 14:51 26 Jan 2018

So this bright light might be visible, shooting across the sky perhaps for a few minutes, maybe twice during the hours of darkness, when most people will be tucked up in bed, that is, if it's not too cloudy.

I wouldn't class that as space vandalism.

qwbos 15:06 26 Jan 2018

If Tracey Emin hears about this, she'll be getting oversized sequins sown onto her unmade bed and launching it into space funded by the taxpayer.

bumpkin 23:30 26 Jan 2018

Could be somewhere to get rid of the plastic.

oresome 10:42 07 Feb 2018

I read we have a bit more junk in space now.

click here

Belatucadrus 11:24 07 Feb 2018

Methinks Mr Musk has been watching the old Heavy Metal movie a few too many times.

Although to be fair it's not in geosynchronous orbit and they had to put something in as a test payload and nobody was ever going to risk a megabucks satellite on a first proof of concept launch.

alanrwood 11:52 07 Feb 2018

I believe it is on its way to Mars but will just miss it and go to the asteroid belt before being pulled back into the sun.

oresome 12:00 07 Feb 2018

Will the car soon be out of warranty due to the distance travelled?

Belatucadrus 12:25 07 Feb 2018

As long as he still owns the company Mr Musks personal Tesla is NEVER out of warranty, even if floating through the asteroid belt. Admittedly there are a few issues getting a mechanic to the car in order to carry out any necessary remedial work but I'm sure he's working on that.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61