ordering a brand new car to your spec

MJS WARLORD 14:00 09 Sep 2018

No doubt you will have seen films inside a car plants assembly line , have you notice the big sheet of paper fastened to the bodywork , this has the details of what the customer wants at every stage of the build.

now go to a companies web site and try and order your car to your required spec.

Choose the bodyshell , number of doors , paint colour , engine size , wheels , interior trim , optional extras.

I guarantee at some point you get told if you want a certain something you must change something else. I "built" a ford st line and everything was ok until I chose the 145 bhp engine , I was told I must change my choice of paint ????

I did the same with a mustang and was told I could not have brown leather seats with my choice of colour paint.

Don't get me wrong I am not having a go a ford these are just 2 examples , I have looked at other car makers sites and come up with the same problem.

What I don't understand is this , all the parts for a certain model of car are in the building and until the workers read the spec sheet they wont know what my car wants so why cant I have exactly what I want to pay for.

Pine Man 16:53 09 Sep 2018

That happens with all the brands that I have purchased over the years. Most recently VW and I must confess I don't see it as a problem.

I only use web site confgurators as a guide and then sort out what I want and what I am prepared to pay for when face to face with the sales staff.

Quickbeam 18:37 09 Sep 2018

I believe that BMW and equally high end manufacturers offer greater customisation. At a price though... a mass produced car will be much more limited to keep the costs down.

HondaMan 19:33 09 Sep 2018

Don't have that problem with a Rolls-Royce! You can have what you want!

bumpkin 20:57 09 Sep 2018

Don't have that problem with a Rolls-Royce!

Upgraded from your Honda then? :-)

bumpkin 15:11 11 Sep 2018

Ferrari is the best.

Horrible cramped little things with a hard uncomfoftable ride. Made for show offs and boy racers.

wee eddie 17:38 11 Sep 2018

Ferrari - You can specify any colour, so long as it is red!

bumpkin 18:22 11 Sep 2018

A phallic sybol. In my case a smart car would be more appropriate:-)

HondaMan 20:30 11 Sep 2018

Bumpkin

years ago, about 2001 when I changed to Volvo. Now on my second C70 T5!

bumpkin 21:34 11 Sep 2018

Now on my second C70 T5!

Never driven one but they look good as do the specs. I was thinking of a Volvo years ago for their safety and practibility but at the time they all looked like a big metal box with wheels on.

Menzie 23:04 11 Sep 2018

There is a car configuration page at my Nissan dealer's website, however I just went there and asked what fully loaded car they had on the lot.

Mine has quite a bit of electronics however some handy stuff came the following year that mine does not have.

Goodies such as soft cabin lighting, lane departure warning and a 188HP engine came the following year.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe unveils dream prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Comment utiliser la fonction SI sur Excel ?