Opinions wanted

rickf 14:48 11 Jun 2014

I have had a quote for boarding up my loft with plater board including one wall where the chimney is and a side wall from an extension. The floor which is already partially laid with chip board will be completed in the quite. The quote is £2500. Is this a bit too much? Will get a second quote but your initial opinions are appreciated.

carver 07:55 12 Jun 2014

Forum Editor I only mentioned a plasterboard of that size because it's a damned site easier to work out than an 1800 x 600 plasterboard which at trade price is about £2.25 and that is why I said to add 10%

Flooring price I quoted was for 18mm tongue and groove and I over quoted at £6 actual price is more like £5.25 square metre including VAT and at 2400 mm x 600 mm the amount of cutting is very small

Plus rickf has already got part of the floor boarded, I don't believe he needs £1500 worth of material.

rickf 12:18 12 Jun 2014

Thanks for all the feedback. I am still considering it. From FE it seems that I need to double up the joists for the floor as I want the option of making it into a living space later. In this respect, the builder has advised using 9.5 plaster board screwed on rather than nail as hammering could loosen the roof tiles. Thought that was good advise. For the floor I am using the ones that slot together not plain chip board. It's not just the costs. I have to make sure that it's right. What concerns me is that he is pressurizing me to make a quick decision to have it done now as he is between jobs so the quote is cheap according to him. Tells me that price would go up later. I don't like this kind of selling technique.

carver 13:07 12 Jun 2014

rickf if you are considering it to be a usable living space then you may need planing consent, the floor will need to be strengthened plus a fire break fitted, don't rush into it because you could find that the floor needs to come up again to comply with regulations.

Don't let him con you that he is doing a big favour by using dry wall screws, they come in 1000 packs for £10 screwfix

If I were you I would put it on hold until you make up your mind what you really want out of this loft space.

carver 13:11 12 Jun 2014

One further thing that plasterboard may be to thin to comply with fire regs for a roof space also are you detached or semi it makes a difference because of the party wall in a semi.

caccy 13:14 12 Jun 2014

Totally agree with carver. Think carefully about what you want the space for as some of the current insulation requirements are very stringent.i.e If you remove more than 25% of the plaster on an external wall it then has to be insulated as if it is a new building.

bumpkin 13:51 12 Jun 2014

As others. If you want to use it as living space in the future then hold fire or you may find that you have wasted your £2500. Certainly don't be rushed into anything.

carver 13:56 12 Jun 2014

rickf believe me when I tell you do not skimp on a loft space where you would spend any time in it, it's not worth it.

A friend of mine is in the fire service and a few years ago (more like 15) told me of a fire he went to where some one was trapped in a loft space and they couldn't get to him in time, they had to go through the roof.

It didn't even have a fire door or fire break in the floor and no means to escape onto the roof.

I just thought you wanted some where clean to store a few items not a living space.

rickf 13:57 12 Jun 2014

Thanks people. Putting it on hols has always been an option and it looks like I am heading that way until I gain more info re the ins and outs of this. I certainly don't want to be rushed into it. Cheers to all who contributed.

spuds 16:37 12 Jun 2014

I tend to find some council officer's can be extremely helpful, when this type of project is being considered. If there are any regulations to comply with, they will most likely have simple print-outs for this. All its going to cost, is an email or a visit to your main council office, plus your own time. Some council's also have lists of people capable of doing this work.

Forum Editor 16:54 12 Jun 2014

If you want to make this space into what's called an habitable room you will need to comply with building regulations - you will not need planning consent, as loft rooms are what is called a permitted development.

You will need to make a building control submission however, and this will involve you in supplying a structural engineer's calculations in respect of the floor loading. You must also ensure that suitable insulation is placed between the rafters if plasterboard is being fixed to them. A ventilation gap must be allowed between the insulation and the roof tiles. It is normal to screw the plasterboards into place using black drywall screws. The boards will have to be plastered - they won't provide the necessary fire-resistance otherwise.

The regulations for flooring have changed, and you may no longer use 18mm boards. You must use 22mm high density moisture resistant boards instead.

Your local authority building control department will offer help - they will arrange for you to speak to a building control officer if you visit their offices.

You'll find that they will almost certainly insist that all doors on lower floors are made to be half-hour fire-resisting,and that the door stops are increased in size. Think this through very carefully before you start. It can all start getting pretty expensive - you will certainly not achieve building control compliance for anything like £2500.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

2019’s best design book celebrates web design all the way from the ‘90s to now

New Apple products predictions 2020

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !