Only in cinemas.... and DVD?

[DELETED] 11:27 05 May 2006

I'm probably being a bit sad but has anyone else noticed how when films are being released in cinemas, on the trailer or poster it says "only in cinemas" then (surprise, surprise) a few months later it's out on DVD?

The latest example that I can remember being King Kong. It doesn't say this on every film, just a few. A shrewd marketing ploy to tap into the subconcious I think...

[DELETED] 13:04 05 May 2006

Nothing wrong with that.

[DELETED] 18:55 05 May 2006

"Only in cinemas" is a valid claim when the film is just released as it's not any where else but the cinema.

It's kind of like stating the obvious isn't it.

[DELETED] 19:03 05 May 2006

Have to agree with SG Atlantis® it is rather obvious that at the time its at the cinema its not available on DVD. So the claim is valid at the time. It may come out on DVD 3 months or 6 months after its been at the cinema but I can't see why you think its a marketing ploy.

[DELETED] 19:15 05 May 2006

stating the obvious...and you are not forced to buy the DVD or go to the film.

G

[DELETED] 14:34 06 May 2006

Many of the film companies will release ealier than before,to try and pre-empt the countefeiters.

amonra 15:26 06 May 2006

If the film is any good the producers will hang on to it and keep it on the big screen If it turns out to be a load of c**p (which a lot of them are) then they release it to the DVD market to squeeze a few more bucks out of us suckers.

spuds 20:34 06 May 2006

"only in cinemas", never as been. If its a blockbuster, then you can bet a counterfeit copy is ready in the making. Years ago, it was the guy in the next seat with his cini-camera :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)