online gaming abuse from players

KEITH 1955 17:02 25 Aug 2018

Whist playing online games I have made friends with a lot of people I know I will never meet and I have also made a lot of enemies.

I call these players keyboard hero's because they hide behind their gear. I have put messages in games chat saying things like " just for fun what country is everyone in and how old is everyone". From the replies I get , the keyboard hero's are not all youngsters some are adults who should know better.

In extreme cases I have sent screenshots of abuse to games makers but they never do anything.

Dota2 is one of the biggest games around but I only used it for about a week. The players who use this game HATE noobs with a passion , if you make 1 silly mistake the abuse is unbelievable almost to the point that if the abusers met you on the street they would probably want to kill you for real. I had to stop using the game because the abuse wound me up so much I just wanted to smash my gear. BTW I am not a mardy teenager I am 63 years old and been a gamer since 1982.

So my question to you all is what games have you received abuse on , what was said if it is printable on here and what did you do about it.

wee eddie 18:00 25 Aug 2018

Warlord: We get those folk here, now and again. There is a small band who pass their Id's to our Moderator, aka FE, and he sorts them out.

The problem you have come across is common on Un-moderated Games, Forums and Chat Rooms. They think that they're smart.

Menzie 18:18 25 Aug 2018

I don't play online for that very reason. My PC is for single player experiences while my games consoles are ferried to friend's houses or in my living room for offline multiplayer fun.

The last game I took online was Left for Dead 2 and it wasn't a good experience. Essentially every five seconds a popup appeared because someone playing wanted another player kicked out of the game for any little error. Rather than enjoy the experience and play together.

Online multiplayer isn't for me, never has been and never will be.

Aitchbee 23:44 25 Aug 2018

Anyway, back on subject [nearly]. MJS mentioned his online 'friends'.

i cannot understand how one can be friends with someone that one has never meet personally. it's a total illusion. just my opinion.

Aitchbee 23:56 25 Aug 2018

rdave13, no.

i only divulge really personal matters to trusted real humans. [friends]

i know that everything online is virtual.

i hope you can recognize the difference.

Aitchbee 00:33 26 Aug 2018

rdave13, i respect your opinion.

Aitchbee 00:36 26 Aug 2018

'don't rattle on' - that's a good 'un. LOL!!!!!

Old Deuteronomy 10:46 26 Aug 2018

Only just got to this thread so, may be a bit late. Just thinking, most of those Dota2 playing keyboard warriors, without a keyboard and internet to hide behind, would be too scared to say boo to a goose. Easy to throw out the insults when the target of their abuse is likely not even in the same country.

I play MMORPG fantasy games, like World of Warcraft. The community in such games tends not to be so bad and any idiots I just set to ignore and carry on playing.

john bunyan 10:56 26 Aug 2018

I have no interest or time for games but am grateful to those who into them as home PC improvements are led by gamers.

I joined the forum in the first place to get help , free, from experienced PC folk, and am very grateful for it. Over time there are a few areas where I have been able to reciprocate occasionally, and I enjoy the other forums.

I think there are people here who are friends that go out of their way to help me, one is on this thread!

I have been in personal touch with a number, first met here; I will not mention those still living. Several have passed away , such as W*l, with whom I shared military experience via e mail , and there have been others.

Thank you to those who are so helpful - you are , indeed, “virtual” friends !

Forum Editor 11:12 26 Aug 2018

This should really have been posted in the gaming forum, but the context has expanded, so I left it here.

I have deleted a string of posts which involved personal bickering, and dealt with the instigator, who has repeatedly caused trouble here.

On the subject of whether or not people make 'friends' online, I believe it can happen because I have seen evidence of it many times over the past 17 years. Lots of people lead fairly lonely lives for one reason or another, and being able to come to a virtual space where they can communicate regularly with others can be a great comfort.

I can clearly recall one Christmas, fairly late in the evening, seeing a post from a regular contributor who was clearly in distress - all alone and very depressed. I emailed him a message of support, and several of our regulars posted encouraging comments. Some time later, I got an email, telling me it had all been a great comfort.

When people turn on you in a forum where you have felt 'at home' it can come as a shock, and can be very upsetting. Most decent forums are aware of this, and try hard to stop it when it happens. Personal abuse is not uncommon on the internet - it's one of the least likeable aspects of human nature - and although it is only practiced by a very small percentage of the online population it can have a devastating effect.

KEITH 1955 12:01 26 Aug 2018

Thanks to all of you for your feedback , FE gave a perfect example of friends you will never meet I have a similar story.

A guy was using WARFRAME practically all day and in the chatroom he came over as a very troubled person , some days he sounded suicidal then he just vanished from the game. A few of us were so concerned about his welfare that we raised our concerns with the games makers. They informed us all that they had been in touch with him and yes he was in a bad way.

They basically said to him "the friends you will never meet want you back" we respected his privacy by never asking him what his problem was. He is now back gaming and on the road to recovery.

I think we can call that a result !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale