This one is worth a look.

Cymro. 12:48 28 Aug 2018

BBC link

I suspect that there are even more advanced missiles than Exocet these days and we all know what even one such missile can do as it did to our cost in the Falklands. So the obvious question is can we afford such things and even if we can are they good value for money? I have posted in the past on this Forum about such things so I can well anticipate at least some of your replies. Still I did at least enjoy looking at the link as I hope you will.

wee eddie 14:36 28 Aug 2018

Each Aircraft Carrier is, theoretically surrounded by a wall of Type 45 Destroyers whose sole task is to protect it from such attacks.

Unfortunately the Type 45's have suffered continuing engine problems and are mostly out of service at the present

Forum Editor 15:43 28 Aug 2018

These ships are certainly magnificent examples of seagoing might, and they will have a long working life - 40 years. There will be refit costs during that period, but they should represent value for money in terms of our maritime capability for a long time.

Should we build ships like this? Probably not, if you regard them purely in terms of their cost. On the other hand, they will give us considerable clout in the eyes of the world, and perhaps that's just what we need at the moment.

I'm sure that someone will reel off the numbers of new hospitals and schools we could build but at a time when the world is far from being stable, having a couple of big warships in our navy isn't altogether a bad thing.

Pine Man 16:29 28 Aug 2018

having a couple of big warships in our navy isn't altogether a bad thing.

I'm bound to agree as their construction, ongoing maintenance, manning and administration has kept, and will continue to keep, many in employement for some time to come.

MJS WARLORD 17:55 28 Aug 2018

Weather your on the wrong end of a bullet or a missle you can only die once !

bumpkin 19:05 28 Aug 2018

Weather your on the wrong end of a bullet or a missle you can only die once

That is why we need to stay on the right end.

bremner 19:28 28 Aug 2018

The aircraft carrier is a big easy target for hypersonic missiles.

click here

wee eddie 21:36 28 Aug 2018

Meantime, its helicopters and crew can help in disaster areas, obviously only those adjacent to the sea, all over the world. That would raise the UK's stock no end

Quickbeam 06:22 29 Aug 2018

They're way more useful than Trident who's sole use is for the final wipeout of the reign of mankind on Earth.

And can ako provide many more hospital than a carrier....

Quickbeam 06:30 29 Aug 2018

”On the other hand, they will give us considerable clout in the eyes of the world, and perhaps that's just what we need at the moment.“

Sounds like the next step in our Brexit plan is to revert to well proven gunboat diplomacy FE!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)