With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

daz60 17:42 20 Apr 2016

sider9-2,to be honest i do not,i think they will read the tabloids and accept the simplistic view,i say that not to denigrate the people i consider myself to be on of those "MR Average" but i do at least want to inform myself and try to understand the ramifications of the vote i am about to give.

I agree your comment about the Scots vote and this one has the same or even greater impact but it was the public response to the issue at hand galvanised as it were by a sense of destiny that caught the worlds as well as my attention.

Flak999 17:52 20 Apr 2016

john bunyan

Firstly, of course I will abide by the result of the referendum, whichever way it goes! I will have no choice will I? However It doesn't mean I will be happy if we vote to remain.

I'm sure spider is not happy that his adoptive clansmen voted to remain part of the UK!

As to your other points:

1. Just because we have not done something in the past is no excuse for just throwing our hands up and saying it's impossible to achieve. Of course it's possible, with fingerprint and iris scans at our ports of entry we can control exactly who enters and also who leaves.

2. Ireland is not part of Schengen, we have policed with the help of the Garda the Irish border during the troubles in the 70's, we can do it again. As for Scotland, then yes border controls may be necessary, again it's perfectly doable.

3. Regarding menial jobs currently done by foreign workers, the benefits system could be changed to 'encourage' the work shy to play their full part in society. As for the NHS, nobody is saying that skilled workers whom we need would be excluded, an Australian points style system would accomplish this.

4. If we leave, the EU will still want to trade with us and us with them. We will negotiate a suitably advantageous agreement with our trading partners.

Above all though we will be free once again to write our own destiny, free of the shackles of Merkel and Brussels.

Forum Editor 23:11 20 Apr 2016

Flak999

"Above all though we will be free once again to write our own destiny, free of the shackles of Merkel and Brussels."

With respect, that is romantic claptrap. This is 2016, not 1816, and we will not be free to write our own destiny if we leave the EU.

We will have an increased degree of freedom from EU legislation, certainly, but our destiny will be very strongly influenced by our need to form trading agreements, with the EU, as well as with other trading countries. We could not afford to cease trading with the EU, and any agreement we manage to negotiate will come with conditions - one of which may be granting EU citizens special cross-border travel rights, for instance.

Don't get the idea that exiting the EU is going to magically transport us all back to a golden time when we never locked our doors, and Mrs. Jones brought her husband his slippers and pipe each evening. Nothing could be further from the truth. We would be increasingly influenced by and competing with powerful trading nations like China and America, and we would certainly not be calling all the shots.

Put away those rose-tinted glasses, and start facing reality.

Quickbeam 06:55 21 Apr 2016

Ipsos MORI poll bar graph showing what EU issues are the most important to us. Scroll down to page 10.

morddwyd 08:13 21 Apr 2016

"Don't get the idea that exiting the EU is going to magically transport us all back to a golden time"

Unfortunately,FE, that is the view that is increasingly being peddled, and increasingly being believed.

I want out, but am under no illusions that we will face a difficult fifteen or twenty years.

Quickbeam 09:04 21 Apr 2016

"but am under no illusions that we will face a difficult fifteen or twenty years."

We haven't all necessarily got 15/20 years to wait for the good times!

LastChip 12:06 21 Apr 2016

Quickbeam, that is the typical selfish attitude that so many people have.

It's not about whether I (or you) have 15-20 years ahead (and I probably don't), it's about how our country is going to evolve for future generations. That's why it's such a major issue.

I'm convinced, there's only one choice - out, even if it costs me directly in the short term. That said, I suspect we'll see little change in trading, in spite of the fear tactics being used. The Europeans have too much to loose to block our market access.

The possibility of yet more (poorer) countries joining and hence the probability of yet more economic migrants having the legal right to enter, is serious cause for concern.

Of course big business wants to stay in. They can employ these people on the minimum wage and pocket their fat salaries, while we (the taxpayer) pick up the bill for benefits. Why would they want it to change?

As with all politics, it's all rhetoric or self interest and sadly, little truth being told.

hssutton 14:02 21 Apr 2016

I've just been looking at various sites regarding the amount of money we effectively give away and at migration figures, the following is what I find.

Migration Watch UK 10 Key Points on Mass Immigration • The current scale of migration to the UK, 330,000 a year, of which roughly half is from the EU, is completely unsustainable. • As a result our population is projected to rise by half a million every year – the equivalent of a city the size of Liverpool. • England is already twice as crowded as Germany and 3.5 times as crowded as France. • Population growth adds to the pressures on public services when public spending is • being reduced. •
And then we see the money this country is giving away • Foreign aid £16 billion • Trade deficit with the EU £23.6 billion • Cost to EU £8.5 billion.

If these figures are to be believed, then migration is having a very serious effect on our way of life. Not to mention NHS in total chaos along with the school system

Forum Editor 17:51 21 Apr 2016

At the moment, the ipsos MORI political monitor research returns for April (based on interviewing a representative sample of voters) shows that the nation is most likely to vote to remain in the EU. When the 'undecided' people were asked which way they think they are most likely to vote, there was an increase in both the 'leave' and 'stay' totals, but not enough to make 'Leave' win the referendum.

It's close, but if there was a referendum tomorrow we would probably vote to stay in by a margin of between 5% and 10%.

The most important issue in the minds of the electorate is, according to the survey, the economy followed by immigration.

That indicates to me that my fellow citizens are getting their priorities right. Immigration - as I said in an earlier post - is not as important to us as the economy when it comes to making a decision.

I am still undecided.

x123 19:21 21 Apr 2016

We, as a family, have discussed the issue and at the moment are fairly sure which way we will vote. We will still keep an open mind to the in and out campaigns right upto polling day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans jeux vidéos (2019)