With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

john bunyan 19:40 19 Apr 2016

Forum Editor

The Indian and Pakistani diasporas continue to grow, as they rarely marry people from this country, preferring , via arranged marriages via family or tribal connections, to bring in a spouse from their historic country. This is not a pejorative point but the government has done little to deter this habit. Even in recent years non EU migration has been about 1/2 of the total. My point is that we seem unwilling, or unable to control migration and this would not change if we voted "Out". Do the "Out" camp seriously believe that British youngsters would take on jobs such as potato or cabbage picking? I saw a trial on TV where they proved unable to cope. Nursing still relies on , for example Philippine people, indeed my wife recalls back in the '60's many of her nursing cohort were from other countries, so I see no sign of change there. There may well be arguments on legal or economic matters but I have little faith that immigration would change much.

john bunyan 08:36 20 Apr 2016

This morning 8 (Republican and Democrat ) former US Treasury Secretaries say we would be severely diminished by leaving. The "In" side seem to have far more external , credible , politically neutral supporters than the "Out" people.

Quickbeam 09:04 20 Apr 2016

That's because we know what we have being in. The being outers haven't presented any credible reasoning other than than wishful hope...

Forum Editor 09:07 20 Apr 2016

john bunyan

What gives you the idea that former US Treasury Secretaries are politically neutral?

American politicians think - naturally enough - about American interests before anything else, and it suits America very well to have an ally of long standing inside the EU.

HondaMan 09:14 20 Apr 2016

In answer to the question "have you decided"; YES

Forum Editor 09:41 20 Apr 2016

*"That's why I said that people are "on their own" in this decision - it will come down , for most I suspect, to choosing one view, be it from a 'celebrity' or other, and following their advice! Frightening."*

It's certainly true that bias is everywhere, but that's perfectly normal and understandable - each one of us is probably biased in the way we look at this subject and many others besides. Bias is a natural aspect of the human condition.

That most of us will probably be influenced more by one person's opinion than anything else is also true, and it's also human nature. It's certainly not "frightening" in any way. It applies to the way we behave in all voting contexts, from 'hands up who agrees with the motion' in school debating societies, to General elections.

In the end what really matters is that as many people as possible cast a vote. How they arrive at their decision is less important. The more people who vote, the greater the chance that we end up with a truly representative, democratic result.

Forum Editor 10:34 20 Apr 2016

spider9~2

The thing about the referendum that is different from elections is that on this occasion, both the major political parties want us to remain in the EU.

It means that there is a bias in favour of the 'in' campaign because people who always vote for everything on the basis of a long-standing feeling of support for one party or another are a bit more likely to cast an 'in' vote. Then there are those people who instinctively want to maintain the status quo.

Balancing that to some extent is a groundswell of opinion that wants us to regain what is perceived as a major loss of sovereignty and national identity, and those people want to achieve that at any cost - they are deaf to all attempts at persuasion.

It is certainly going to be an interesting referendum, and I - for one - remain undecided. My research continues.

daz60 10:46 20 Apr 2016

I fear that the comment by spider9-2 {09-49} will be closer to the truth than we realise,this is the moment when the electorate take FULL resposibility for the decision WE take,whatever the celebreties,politicians or experts say it is ours to make right or wrong.

I believe that at this point there will not be another chance so this decision will be final and future generations will have to live with it.

Will this referendum generate the same response displayed in Scotland,i wonder,they had a passionate and acrimonious debate which was answered by an astonishing turnout that should inspire the same response now, but will it.?

I find both the in/out camps are being disingenous in their statements,neither side will state fully the facts,speculation and points making responses do not answer my questions.

I do not care so much about what foreign leaders say ,as commented,they have their interests to defend and reading some books and other literature from institutions /organisations who operate in the EU parliament i find that as positive as they seem thay also have concerns about the nature of the impending changes the EU are seeking to implement.

One book i manged to find was on the 1975 referendum by D Butler and the Conservative pamphlet released to persuade us to stay in and i find the issues and responses to be the same,with less spin but similiar scaremongering.

So,even though my points made in a previous comment are valid i find myself rethinking my position.

wee eddie 10:57 20 Apr 2016

I am fascinated by this desire for "Facts". There are no Facts about the future.

The Future is in the hands of those that live there and that includes, not only us, but also the rest of the world.

They, the rest of the World, will act for their own benefit, not ours.

So the decision is. Will they favour us or the EU?

Interestingly, Boris's comment about the USA and Sovereignty ignores the fact that 52 American States gave up their own sovereignty to become part of the "USA". A much more powerful and successful beast.

Toneman 13:32 20 Apr 2016

wee eddie are you thinking that USE would be comparable to USA?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

La nouvelle Xbox sera la Xbox Series X