With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

Forum Editor 13:00 18 Apr 2016

spider9~2

"This is why most of us will choose an 'item' from the plethora of issues, that we can identify with (be it sovereignty, immigration, economy, et al) and base our own vote on that one thing."

I agree - that's what happens in these situations. It also happens in General elections. Nobody, not even politicians, can hope to have a grasp of all the implications of leaving or staying.

It's the reason why, as polling day looms, the scare-mongering will increase in intensity. Our doubts and fears will be preyed on by those on both sides of the divide.

Toneman 13:53 18 Apr 2016

I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a bit like this thread, a runaway train.... taking us all eventually to USE...

Forum Editor 17:32 18 Apr 2016

Toneman

I don't see either as runaway trains. That implies an inability to control, and I can do that as far as the thread is concerned.

The referendum is a fact - it will take place on the stated date and the government is committed to abide by our collective decision. We, the people, will tell the government that we wish our country to stay in the EU or leave it. Having done so, we will also be bound to accept the result.

That's why it's so important to vote on the day, and to do so on an informed basis if at all possible. It really isn't a time for a knee-jerk response, although I imagine millions of people will provide just that.

Flak999 17:57 18 Apr 2016

It's quite laughable really, every day (or so it seems) a new scare story about how the world will end if we exit the EU is front page news. Project fear is in full swing and this will only get worse as referendum day approaches.

I'm sure that at some point the potential Brexit will be blamed for the collapse in the oil price, North Korean missile tests, the refugee crisis, global warming and the extinction of the dinosaurs! it really is to pathetic for words.

Still, I'm voting out come what may, I really don't care if the crops fail, the greedy farmers loose all of their subsidies, Boris is elected prime minister, or Brexit presages the coming of the Antichrist.

The sooner we are free from the clutches of Brussels and Merkel the better.

Govan1x 18:14 18 Apr 2016

I think we are doomed. If the FE cannot make up his mind what chance have we.

I would have thought that the FE was certain to vote to stay and now he comes out with this bombshell that he hesitant on what to choose for the best.

I think this just shows that there are no clear favourite on who is going to win.

Another nail biter of a finish is on the cards.

We have to protect our country firstly and the best way to do that in my opinion would would be to vote no in the referendum.

Bazzaman 18:28 18 Apr 2016

Govan1X

"If the FE cannot make up his mind what chance have we."

There's putting on a pedestal if ever I saw it. Is he some kind of God?

Ungus 18:50 18 Apr 2016

From a Scottish perspective for me its in I have seen the difference membership has made in terms of projects to make life much better. Outside the central belt Scotland is a large sparsely populated area with with a massive coastline and three archipelagos to contend with. Most large projects are part funded between the EU and Holyrood and sometimes Westminster, the EU has also helped bring investment north away from the South East. I doubt if Westminster and Holyrood could invest as much up here. Of course on the leave side that could see more powers coming to Holyrood such as agriculture and fisheries as issues such as these are not reserved matters and would require negotiation. But overall I think its better for Scotland to be in but some in the independence movement want to leave. But for me it will be remain that gets my mark.

john bunyan 19:20 18 Apr 2016

I am impressed (not with Osborne himself) with the recent Treasury figures in favour of Remain. The numbers are checked and verified by a number of reputable, independent bodies, supported by many allies such as the USA and other reputable organisations.

The Brexit people have some strong arguments, particularly on the legal "sovereignty" issues. However they do not have the support of such reputable bodies as the remain campaign. Brexit supporters seem to think that we could somehow, for free, keep the free trade aspects without penalties. Maybe that is true for normal items such as cars etc, but I cannot imagine the same applying to financial services and many other service companies. We would have to use at least 1/2 of the EU current contribution ourselves (The part we get back) , to keep the farm subsidies etc in place, and it is uncertain that the other half would be a nett saving (eg Norway has to pay to keep the free trade).

I have moved from "In" to "Unsure" to "Probably in" but still listening. Both sides are using fear, so I try to listen to the more economically and politically independent non government top experts.

morddwyd 19:28 18 Apr 2016

"From a Scottish perspective "

The Scottish perspective has no relevance whatsoever. In any UK wide vote it is the English who decide. That is not a rant or a moan. That is simply a fact. It is the way democracy works. The majority, in this case the English voters, decide.

Personally don't believe it will be anything like as close as some people think.

Fear of the unknown, ruthlessly exploited, will win the day.

The status quo is always an attractive option for many.

beeuuem~2 20:34 18 Apr 2016

john bunyam 'The numbers are checked and verified by a number of reputable, independent bodies, supported by many allies such as the USA and other reputable organisations.'

I hope you don't include the IMF in these bodies. Christine Lagarde click here says that the IMF view, that Brexit would be bad for everybody, and which she espouses and articulates is based partly on preliminary analysis, partly on intuition and her personal opinion.

Hardly an independent in-depth factual analysis to aid in forming an opinion of which way to vote in the EU referendum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)