With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

Forum Editor 18:18 17 Apr 2016

It looks as if the farmers' union is going to put its weight behind the 'in' campaign.

bremner 18:30 17 Apr 2016

As 60% of farmers income comes from the EU subsidies this is totally to be expected.

This issue goes to the crux of the debate. Farmers know what they get in the EU, they have no idea what they would get if we left.

The In campaign says everything economically will be worse, with no evidence, the Out campaign says it will be fine, with no evidence.

Many like me want an economic union but not a political one, fearing a loss of sovereignty and political control. How should I vote?

I am very unsure.

Quickbeam 18:34 17 Apr 2016

"The In campaign says everything economically will be worse, with no evidence, the Out campaign says it will be fine, with no evidence."

The status quo is the only known outcome!

bremner 19:16 17 Apr 2016

Yes for the economic element - so I would vote In.

But what about the political element - where does that I take us if we stay in?

morddwyd 19:16 17 Apr 2016

"As 60% of farmers income comes from the EU subsidies this is totally to be expected."

And yet when we were allowed our own Milk Marketing Board producers got a decent return and consumers got a decent product.

daz60 21:53 17 Apr 2016

A vote to remain IS a vote for a political and economic union with all that entails,that is the ultimate reason for creating the EU.The narrow minded focus by the media has ,in my opinion,diverted that 'elephant in the room' to a more popular target for public discontent,immigrants.

The Brexiters have to make a case not only economically but also politically,as signatories to various treaties from the Treaty of Rome and on to subsequent treaties this country has obligations which tie us legislatively to the EU,an out vote will not change that fact for we will still have to abide by ALL rules and regulations governing all aspects of the EU enterprise.

Equally the remain team have to come clean about the same matters but also make more clearly the case that a reformed EU for our benefit will never happen,listening to Owen Smith on QT and Cameron talk about reform is ridiculous,they have NEVER made any attempt at change except when it suits them and most certainly not the public.

NO accountability,NO responsibility,NO transparency and NO democracy.

A Trading Union i would vote yes to staying BUT a political Union i say NO,NON,NEIN.

beeuuem~2 23:28 17 Apr 2016

Quickbeam 'The status quo is the only known outcome!'

Even that is not known. It is said, by Daniel Hannan and others who should have some idea about these things, that the EU parliament has little to do at present as a whole raft of new regulations and diktats are being held back until after 23rd June.

morddwyd 08:08 18 Apr 2016

One thing I do know.

If I see another politician in a hard hat and a hi-vis vest it may well tip me over the edge!

Sapins 08:23 18 Apr 2016

As the government took away our right to vote as we live in another EU country we cannot usefully join the debate, but, one thing I can say is that everyone entitled to vote should do so. Having said that we can only add that those who do not vote are the ones who do not bother with the ins and out and have taken a large dose of apathy!

Sapins 11:06 18 Apr 2016

Well said spider9~2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)