With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

Aitchbee 21:42 16 Apr 2016

I will be voting for the UK to exit the EU. It's purely a gut feeling. It's heartening [ for the potential OUT voters ] to see that the odds for this monumental upheaval to occur have shortened quite considerably over the past few weeks.

Quickbeam 06:17 17 Apr 2016

HB's stance is a strange one indeed also as is that of my sister in Blairgowrie and brother in Inverness, both also say they would vote for out, yet were all for Scottish independence, and quoting Scottish EU membership as essential for that!

Quickbeam 06:47 17 Apr 2016

In my case I've always argued for get out, be out, and good riddance... until the day that the referendum was actually announced!

What brought about this sudden miraculous conversion on the road to the Treaty of Rome I hear you ask?

Quite simply I was honest with myself over why I felt that way. The honest answer was that my opinions were an accumulation of 40 years worth of prejudiced going with the flow of popular opinion.

The referendum isn't about a popularity election on the EU, but will we be better off in or out.

We know what we get by being in as we're already in, and we can (and will) moan to our hearts content for many decades more.

But what do we get by being out? The only answer that both sides can agree on is that there will be a period of uncertainty. That can mean from everything will come up roses the day after an exit vote, to 10 years of plague and pestilence!

From what I can gather, more than 90% of the things that we believe we will be rid of at a stroke will not change at all. And possibly we will be much worse off than now by having no place at the top table of influence.

There are many thousands of unknown possibilities that are being brushed aside in the blind hope that everything will be all right on the night, but without any rehearsals having been done.

The last time such a hurried exodus occurred, it took Mosses 40 years to deliver on the promise of unlimited milk and honey for all.

So I'm going to vote to remain in. Not because I think the EU is wondrously beneficial to us all, but because I think that remaining in is by far the best option of the two unconvincing options.

morddwyd 07:51 17 Apr 2016

QB

"yet were all for Scottish independence, and quoting Scottish EU membership as essential for that!"

See my comment above.

I am for out, but if Scotland gets independence I wll fully support an application for EU membership, because as a small nation we will need the protection of a large trading bloc.

I suspect your siblings feel the same.

Quickbeam 08:21 17 Apr 2016

But as the EU pointed out at the time, quick acceptance into the EU as an independent nation is far from simple or guaranteed.

Apologies for the Scottish side track FE, but these two things are closely interwoven and are very relevant to how Scotland votes and affects the UK as a whole in the referendum.

morddwyd 11:39 17 Apr 2016

QB

Acceptance might not be simple, but it is guaranteed.

The EU has never turned anyone down yet, and as I've said before, if Malta, 9 miles by 7 of not very much except a lovely welcome, is accepted I am sure that Scotland would, if it ever came to it, be welcomed.

bremner 14:53 17 Apr 2016

By that argument with David Cameron being the outgoing PM, anything he says in a TV interview should not be accepted as the government position, merely his personal opinion.

amonra 16:33 17 Apr 2016

Europe was designed for, and run by, the two leading nations, namely Germany and France. We have always been Perfidious Albion and they can't wait to absorb us completely. De Gaul didn't want us in at all and made the point quite clearly. Germany only allowed us in knowing that they would eventually take over the WHOLE of europe, without any fighting this time. I can't wait for the EXIT vote, let's get out while we are still in one piece.

morddwyd 16:48 17 Apr 2016

Well that's really in the original spirit of the thread!

TopCat® 17:59 17 Apr 2016

In my heart, I would love to see a fiercely independent country that stands on its own feet internationally and has influence in the world ...

My sentiments exactly, FE, and as one that in '75 was asked: "Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)? it was a resounding Yes vote for our nation's traders and business people. Now I can hardly wait for the June 2016 vote where I sincerely hope the Brexit voters holds sway. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)