With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

Nontek 15:37 16 Apr 2016

From Start to Finish most definately OUT!!

My background very briefly - Age 81, 21 years military service Worldwide. Most of my voting life Conservative, but since Cameron, UKIP.

Forum Editor 15:47 16 Apr 2016

LastChip

"Vote with your heart"

I can understand why you say that, but in the end I think it will be the last thing I do. It's such a serious matter that I think it deserves very careful consideration, and that means using my head. What you want to do in life doesn't always turn out to be the best thing in the end.

Pine Man 15:57 16 Apr 2016

LastChip

The one thing I do know, is nothing will change if we stay in.

How on earth could you possibly know that?

Change has occurred regularly since the EU started, not always necessarily for the better, and I have no doubt that will continue to evolve and that means change.

john bunyan 16:43 16 Apr 2016

By instinct, having worked in Europe and elsewhere, is to "Stay". However the "Out" side have some powerful arguments, particularly on the legal issues where our courts can be overruled. The financial issues are uncertain - we get back 50% of our EU contribution and - as Norway have found - the EU may try to charge a "fee" for free trade . If we could have managed a "reformed" Europe where Nation states have free trade, fine, but the "ever closer union" puts people off when there are countries as disparate as Romania, maybe Turkey etc with many more potential migrants drawn by the vast differences in pay.

I have moved from "stay" to "undecided".

Flak999 18:01 16 Apr 2016

It will be no surprise to anybody here, but my vote will be to leave. I would always vote for our ability to retain our own sovereignty above unelected EU bureaucrats, our ability to control who comes to live here and who doesn't, our ability to push back against the desire for German hegemony over a vast European superstate.

Prior to our entry into the common market we were a fiercely independent nation that bent the knee to nobody, we traded with the rest of the world and we can do that again, we don't need Europe telling us what our fishing or farming quotas are, we can fish and farm and trade on the basis of being the first among equals.

Project fear will not and never could succeed as far as my vote is concerned, basically I want my country back, I don't care whether that causes us or Europe short term problems, we can enter a new golden age for Britain, all we need is the courage to vote no and take back control of our destiny.

It really is that simple!

LastChip 18:06 16 Apr 2016

FE, when I was studying to become a pilot, a very fine instructor once told me something I've never forgotten; "if you're ever undecided about something, go with your instinct, because it's a survival mechanism and it's rarely wrong". It kept me and my passengers safe for many years. And yes, I do agree it's a very serious matter.

Many of those same people that are peddling the fear at present, are the same bunch that said, "if we don't join the Euro, it'll be a disaster". And was it? Far from it.

Pine Man, the feeble document David Cameron returned with should give you a clue. Nothing of any consequence is going to change in the core way Europe is run.

daz60 19:14 16 Apr 2016

When a marriage is irretrievably broken no amount of counselling can repair the damage,divorce is inevitable.

john bunyan 19:26 16 Apr 2016

spider9~2 incredible, we seem to be following the same path in this matter!

To quote you from another thread "Great minds...". Actually it is not a first! Look forward to a spat, maybe nearer the May elections!!

Forum Editor 19:29 16 Apr 2016

spider9~2

Just for the record, I am absolutely determined that this thread is not going to become a politically polarised discussion. I notice that you have already managed to slip in a biased reference to the Scottish referendum, but that's the only one you will get away with.

I specifically asked whether or not people had decided how they would be voting - not what the arguments for and against might be. We can get all that elsewhere.

morddwyd 19:56 16 Apr 2016

I decided some time ago. As I've posted before, I've moved 180 degrees from being a full federalist, and none of the arguments being presented at the moment are likely to change my mind. I've never made any secret of my contempt for Cameron and my admiration of Boris, which is obviously having some effect.

Paradoxically, it Scotland gets independence I will support an application for EU membership because I think, as a smaller nation, we will need the protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)