Hot Topics

With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

LastChip 23:10 22 Apr 2016

When Boris Johnson said Obama was a hypocrite, on this occasion, he was right.

There's no way the US would accept the loss of sovereignty we have, let alone allow their Supreme Court to be overruled by another in a different country.

Obama is about the USA. He doesn't give a damn about us only inasmuch as how useful we are to him and his country. How can on the one hand call us his best friends and on the other, send us to the back of the queue?

Would they accept open borders? No! So don't come here and use veiled threats and lecture to us.

'nuff said.

john bunyan 23:54 22 Apr 2016

Without the US we would not have won WW1 or WW2. Our support for them has been on a smaller scale, and not in all cases (Vietnam , Grenada were big problems)They gave much treasure and lives for us in the World Wars. Obama's remarks were his views; do people expect him to suppress them? I am till undecided but still waiting for Brexiters to provide internationally recognised people to support them. Boris was quite rude, I think.

wee eddie 00:47 23 Apr 2016

Last Chip. Just think on this. The USA is made up of 52 States which gave up their sovereignty to form the most powerful nation on earth

Quickbeam 07:17 23 Apr 2016

spider9: "...by telling us we won't be able to trade with then 'for a long time'"

Like I said, it's a realistic comment, clumsily delivered.

The trade negotiations with the EU have been ongoing for a long time. Do we really believe that on an exit vote they will be sidelined to rush a deal through with us first?

But the OUT camp have chose to interpret this as a specific arm twist threat.

Forum Editor 08:01 23 Apr 2016

Barack Obama was simply doing what any head of state would do- he was acting in his country's interests.

Nobody should be surprised by it, and nobody should wildly overreact - as many people seem to be doing. It should have no more influence (one way or the other) on the way we vote than a cat crossing the road.

Saying 'I was going to vote to remain, but now I'm going to vote to leave' because of a few words from a visiting American President is just daft.

bremner 09:03 23 Apr 2016

wee eddie

It is 50 states

Forum Editor 10:28 23 Apr 2016

"He is the 'Leader of the Free World' - of course it will have more influence than a 'cat crossing the road'!!"

Really? I'm surprised that you feel such an obviously choreographed statement by an American president would cause people to change the way they vote on such an important issue. I would have thought that most people would see the remark for what it was.

Pine Man 11:31 23 Apr 2016

What Obama said was no different to any of the various pronouncements made to date and will have little or no effect on the way people are thinking.

Most people have already made their mind up which way they are going to vote despite what they actually say. Those that want to leave will not believe anything said to the contrary and similarly the contra arguments put forward by those wanting to leave will be dismissed by those wishing to stay.

I really can't see why everybody is getting so wound up. Whatever the outcome of the vote we'll never really know whether it was the correct decision or not.

hssutton 11:43 23 Apr 2016

Will the recently released report Make anyone think again in the Referendum.

Mass migration 'is damaging Britain': Leaked jobs report reveals civil servants' concern at EU influx

Document reveals EU citizens are biggest winners in British jobs market
Graduates from Eastern EU taking low-skilled jobs, topped up by benefits
It's damaging ‘social policy objectives’ of getting low-skilled Brits into 
work
  Pine Man 11:48 23 Apr 2016

Will the recently released report Make anyone think again in the Referendum.

Nope. Doesn't suit my argument!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft to release Surface Duo on 10 September, starting at US$1,399

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

How Apple Camp at Home can entertain your kids this summer

Les meilleurs gadgets et accessoires de camping (2020)