With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 2016

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

morddwyd 19:22 21 Apr 2016

"We haven't all necessarily got 15/20 years to wait for the good times!"

Agree with Lastchip. At 78 I doubt if I have, but I'm not selfish enough to only consider how it mat affect me, but also how it may affect my fellow citizens, some unborn, and the country as a whole.

To quote JFK "...........ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

hssutton 19:54 21 Apr 2016

morddwyd. At the age eighty I'm in total agreement. At the moment we (the country) are £1.5 trillion in debt and rising by the second and we still give away in the region of £40 billion if you include the balance of trade with the EU. Mainly due to the greed of the present population who only think of today and our profligate politicians who like to throw our money away, or I should say the money we borrow.

hssutton 20:02 21 Apr 2016

Whoops hit the enter key in a hurry. I must say that I know of only one who will be voting to remain. When I asked her the question why, her answer was "because that's what the government are telling us to do" -(

Quickbeam 21:11 21 Apr 2016

LastChip/morddwyd: Selfish...?

Well that's why we all have made a decision one way or the other isn't it! And you're assuming that I think it right to leave, but will vote to stay in for that reason. It's only one, but a major one reason of many for me to stay in.

All the leave argument I've come across so far is no more than hopeful thinking. If a good reason backed up by sound and well reasoned argument to leave was presented, I would consider it.

Quickbeam 21:17 21 Apr 2016

FE "I am still undecided."

You've asked our opinions, so can we have yours? You are now repeatedly saying that you're undecided? Yet for the last two years you've been stating as fact that it would be economic disaster to leave the umbrella of the EU!

Quickbeam 21:37 21 Apr 2016

It's hard to take any out argument seriously when this is the sort of reasoning that I'm being given to follow the herd out...

Unacceptable out slogan.

hssutton 21:43 21 Apr 2016

Quickbeam. I'm rather curious as to what the remain team have said that convinced you, as all I've heard is what might happen and the fear they are trying instill into everyone. To my mind it's mainly all guesswork from both sides, no one can be quite sure what will happen either way and with the thinking of the remainers all I can say it's a good job they were not around in 1940.

Quickbeam 21:46 21 Apr 2016

hssutton: Page 3 6:47 of this thread.

Flak999 22:43 21 Apr 2016

Quickbeam

Why unacceptable? Seems perfectly reasonable to me, Men of the free democratic nations of the world landed on the beaches of Normandy 72 years ago to liberate Europe from the tyranny of German occupation.

As I have said before, 72 years later the current German chancellor must sit in her office in the Reichstag in Berlin contemplating that what one of her predecessors attempted to achieve by force of arms she is on the verge of achieving by diplomacy.

We have the chance once again to free ourselves from the yoke of German domination also by diplomatic and democratic means. If we value our freedom, our history and our heritage all true Englishmen born and bred, will vote to rid ourselves of this slow decent into servitude as a vassal state of Greater Germany.

Those broad sunlit uplands still beckon,

It's a funny old world isn't it?

Quickbeam 22:54 21 Apr 2016

Poor taste, if you need to be told.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G