Olympics Opening Ceremony

hssutton 22:30 27 Jul 2012

So what did you think of it? Well my daughter enjoyed it

Forum Editor 08:14 28 Jul 2012

morddwyd

"I'm damned if I'll accept that sort of label just because my preferences differ from the majority."

Who asked you to?

You're labelling yourself, nobody said you were one of those people, just because you don't want to watch. I referred to people who moan about a waste of money, and constantly find something to complain about. I certainly made no mention of people who simply preferred not to watch the opening ceremony, or who don't like sport.

Don't go looking for offence when it isn't there.

Forum Editor 08:22 28 Jul 2012

Noldi

"I know a bit about our History but for the majority of the world wide ordiance would have found it a little confusing if not eccentric."

The world-wide audience had their own commentators, each of whom was provided with comprehensive briefing notes about what was going on, so they could explain to their viewers. It's always the same with these events - lots of people wouldn't have understood some of the Chinese ceremony without explanations.

As for eccentricity, well, we're known for it. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. The China Daily newspaper said "Britain's Queen Elizabeth declared the London Olympics open after playing a cameo role in a dizzying ceremony designed to highlight the grandeur and eccentricities of the nation that invented modern sport,"

Flak999 08:55 28 Jul 2012

I think the look on the Queens face said it all when they caught her in shot during the interminable athletes entrance!

Her ear plugs were in and she looked thoroughly bored and fed up. Long past her bedtime I suspect!

Also agree with the comments about Paul Mcartney, he may have been a good singer once upon a time, but no longer I fear! Why do they keep wheeling him out at these events?

johndrew 10:04 28 Jul 2012

I was a little cynical about the ability of the organisers to come anywhere near the last (Beijing) opening ceremony - I was wrong to be. I watched it on TV from start to finish and found the main sections not only well orchestrated but very original.

There was a solid historical theme supported by aspects of political development plus good music from the period covered - not to mention two separate areas of well recognised humour in 007 and Rowan Atkinson. I never thought I would see HM aiding and abetting hamming it up.

Certainly both the lighting of the flame and the cauldron (if that is the correct definition) itself have never been seen before. Passing the responsibility to the next generation in the manner it was will take some beating in the future and the design, assembly and function of the cauldron was innovative.

There were some parts not to my taste but that is to be expected. Overall a world beating performance I thought.

Aitchbee 11:22 28 Jul 2012

I hope her 'equity' card was up-to-date.

Strawballs 12:09 28 Jul 2012

I was at work for most of it but got home about halfway through the athletes entrance but what I saw of it was very good apart from the music, I don't think the choice of The Artic Monkeys was very good (but that is only my opinion) I am in full agreement though on the subject of Macca I'm sorry he just does have the voice anymore. It was like watching one of those boxers that try to carry on too long.

LastChip 12:23 28 Jul 2012

Macca should stick to song writing. Last nights performance (or an attempt at a performance) was appalling. Why is it people never know when to give up gracefully?

It's a shame. Once-upon-a-time he was worth seeing.

johndrew 13:28 28 Jul 2012

I think the actual show finished with the lighting of the cauldron. The singing (or something) was to allow the dignitaries to exit unimpeded - understandably.

However, I think Rolf Harris would have done a better job than was done by Paul McCartney; as has been said above his voice has gone and so should he.

muddypaws 13:40 28 Jul 2012

I enjoyed it, but have to admit that the Queen didn't appear to be enjoying it one bit. Not even a smile even when she spoke the few words. In fact they could have put Dame Edna in her place and nobody would have noticed the difference!

Looking onward, I may well spend the fortnight watching beach volley ball!! (:-}}

canarieslover 14:33 28 Jul 2012

Agreed that the Queen looked bored and I'm certain that at one point she aked Phillip If he'd set the recorder for Corrie. She got no answer as Phillip seemed to be fast asleep. Must admit that there were some brilliant parts, such as the forging of the rings, but many other parts went on a bit too long. The cauldron lighting phase was a fit crowning finish to the event and it should certainly have stopped there. Real disappointments were Macca's singing and the appearance of Ali, to see that great man in that condition almost reduced me to tears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans