'Obstructive and Pedantic' Member of Parliament...

Quickbeam 18:37 15 Jun 2018

Stops cross party 'upskirting law' in it's tracks.

It doesn't exactly encourage the younger generation to have faith and to participate in our 'honourable' MPs at election time does it...?

Forum Editor 12:50 16 Jun 2018

"I don't even know what upskirting is"

I imagine that before this story broke there were huge numbers of people who had no idea what it was.

That it should be a criminal offence is not in doubt, and the law will be passed. Writing good legislation is far from easy, however, and private members' bills should always get at least some debate time, rather than simply being nodded through. This one is supported by the government, and the current delay is going to be a short one.

morddwyd 19:45 16 Jun 2018

I don't see why we need a special law.

It is voyeurism no different from putting a camera into a female changing room or toilet and dealt with the same way, including being placed on the sex offenders register.

Old Deuteronomy 20:19 16 Jun 2018

"The man's a disgrace"

Indeed he is.

Quickbeam 06:54 17 Jun 2018

He may well deeply regret this objection during the next election campaign. Voters are a fickle lot!

carver 09:06 17 Jun 2018

Prefer what he did than some half baked law comes onto the statute books and people get jailed for a law that hasn't been looked at and thought through properly.

natdoor 10:06 17 Jun 2018

He should resign. I think FE might agree that Gary Lineker would be a worthwhile candidate to replace him.

HondaMan 13:09 17 Jun 2018

Right or wrong, I think he, and the Conservative party, not just in this constituency, will reap the whirlwind at the nest general election.

Which whirlwind, success or defeat? Personally, I think he was right. There are far too many unenforceable laws and therefore bad laws in our statute book and this would have been another. Surely there is enough in our statute book to cover this and most other offences without making it a specific offence. I have noted over a long period working in the law, that an ever-increasing number of what you could call "New Law", including that delightful thing known as the Lawyers' Charter to print money, otherwise called The Children Act 1989" are riddled with errors and omissions which the courts have to waste time and money correcting through various court processes. It's time someone took hold of the statute book, gave it a good shake and started again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)