Nuisance phone calls re no blame accident

john bunyan 15:29 20 Aug 2019
Answered

In Jan I was sitting in my car when an elderly lady nudged it causing a couple of dents . She admitted full liability and her insurance company paid including a hire car. The bump was so gentle that there was no injury or symptoms. In the last few weeks I have been getting calls- today alone 3, and often 2 a day. They seem to have details of the claim ( I do not give them any info) . A call today was from Malaysia; others appear to come from U.K. On my mobile I block them one by one but it is extremely annoying. How do these people get hold of the information? This is different from the random calls that clearly are fishing.

Belatucadrus 15:51 20 Aug 2019

Get used to it, it'll go on for years and no I am not exaggerating.

Pine Man 16:18 20 Aug 2019
Answer

Get a 'Call Guardian' phone such as the BT8600 and never get another nuisance call. I have had one for several years and the only calls I get now are the ones I want.

wee eddie 16:51 20 Aug 2019

Usually, they are just fishing.

john bunyan 17:14 20 Aug 2019

These are mostly on my mobile as my home no is ex directory. I will continue to block them. Still don't know how they got the correct info. I still, occasionally get calls on my home no from "Talk Talk" technical in spite of having left them a year ago; clearly fake. If I can be bothered I string them along until they catch on and go away.

wee eddie 17:28 20 Aug 2019

JB: They can rarely tell you the 'Date and Time' of the Accident.

If they can't, they're fishing

Menzie 18:03 20 Aug 2019

JB - Get a Google Pixel 3a. I get a lot of spam calls. In my case it comes from using job application sites, and selling old items online.

I just recently upgraded to a Pixel 3a and it has a built in spam function. Known spam numbers are automatically blocked without bothering me. Numbers that do get through which are unrecognised, it gives me the option to answer or screen.

When I choose screen my phone takes over the conversation, it asks them who they are, and why they're calling. Their response is written live on my screen via text. I can then choose to block or answer.

I screened an unknown call today who hung up immediately upon being greeted by my phone. A search of the number revealed it is indeed a nuisance call. My phone marked it as 'possibly spam' when they called and it was right.

This is the screening system in action.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 20 Aug 2019

If they have details of the claim then it can only have come from ither yours or hers insurance company selling that information on.

Quickbeam 18:56 20 Aug 2019

hello, about the accident in which you were in no way to bla... Slam! Sorted...

john bunyan 19:06 20 Aug 2019

FB

Must be hers since when ours heard her insurance were paying with no problem they did not get involved at all.

BT 08:48 21 Aug 2019

If I get one of these calls about accidents that I haven't had I go along with it for a while and then say that it was so bad that I had to have my head amputated. It usually takes them a while to realise what I've said and I've even had to. repeat it and then they rapidly realise that I'm taking the 'P' and ring off.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleures imprimantes (2019)