Hot Topics

Now There Are No Ronnies.

Old Deuteronomy 12:39 31 Mar 2016
  RV510 14:53 31 Mar 2016

No-one lives forever, even celebrities and we've lost quite a few of late, the reason being probably because they're getting old, Bruce Forcyth is about the only one left now of that generation. Ronnie Corbett was nothing on his own without Ronnie Barker, that's why we saw very little of him after Barkers death. I'm sure they won't be reading this but all our thoughts and sympathy goes out to his wife Ann and his family. He had a good life.

martd7 15:11 31 Mar 2016

That's a bit harsh,"Ronnie Corbett was nothing on his own" I liked him in his own show sat in the armchair telling jokes and funny stories and the series "Sorry" was worth a watch

Yes with Ronnie Barker as the 2 Ronnies the comedy sketches were fabulous but as an individual he was still a good comedian

BT 17:42 31 Mar 2016

A good friend of mine wrote the 'Water Pub' sketch for them, but is also no longer with us.

RV510 18:32 31 Mar 2016

To me his 'armchair' joke was just drivel, by the time he arrived at the punch line you'd already forgot what the plot was, not my type of humour I'm afraid. The 'sorry' series was very bland, if my Mother was like that, I would of left homes years ago! I still say that it was Barker that made him what he was and that's how he will be remembered.

Forum Editor 15:54 01 Apr 2016

RV510

"To me his 'armchair' joke was just drivel, by the time he arrived at the punch line you'd already forgot what the plot was, not my type of humour I'm afraid."

I'm afraid you seem to have missed the entire point here. The armchair monologues were supposed to have been long and rambling. They have been widely acclaimed as brilliant examples of comedy monologue, and must have been extremely difficult to do. They appeared to be spontaneous, but were in fact meticulously rehearsed.

As for "I still say that it was Barker that made him what he was and that's how he will be remembered." You have that wrong, as well. Ronnie Corbett became well known when he was part of the David Frost team in the late 1960s. Ronnie Barker also started out as part of that team, and it was then that the two Ronnies first worked together.

Barker was actually an actor before he teamed up with Ronnie Corbett, and they both got their big break together, in the Two Ronnies, starting in 1971

Forum Editor 15:57 01 Apr 2016

Transferred to Speakers Corner from Tech Consumer Advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 01 Apr 2016

When comedy was clever and duos ruled.

bumpkin 19:03 01 Apr 2016

When comedy was clever and duos ruled.

And no tirade of obscenities was required.

TopCat® 19:10 01 Apr 2016

Down to earth comedy, such as the Two Ronnies provided over many years, will be very difficult to replace by anyone. They were, in my humble opinion, beyond comparison and I'll sorely miss their appearance on the TV screen. TC.

wee eddie 19:29 01 Apr 2016

Apparently, now all one needs to do to become a Comedian is to shout a lot and swear frequently. Of course, that is grossly unfair but those Comedians who require you to listen before you understand the joke appear to be in short supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs