And now it's goodbye to Stephen Hawking.

canarieslover 08:04 14 Mar 2018

A very interesting and brilliant person. I knew he had Motor Neurone Disease but I didn't realise that he was diagnosed 55 years ago. I have known three people with MND and none of them lived more than five years after diagnosis. Was he lucky? I don't know if I would have been able to live my life like that but he certainly made the best of the situation. R.I.P.

morddwyd 09:24 14 Mar 2018

We can expect a definitive proof or rebuttal of life after death sometime soon!

wee eddie 10:02 14 Mar 2018

You can still hear his latest Radio appearances on Radio 4. He's the star of H2G2

Cymro. 12:20 14 Mar 2018

He seemed a very likable sort of chap. I have never heard anyone have a bad word to say about him.

alanrwood 12:38 14 Mar 2018

Even Sheldon Cooper respected him.

Richly deserved. A shining example of what a disabled person can achieve.

Forum Editor 14:49 14 Mar 2018

"A shining example of what a disabled person can achieve."

Yes, but bear in mind that his brain wasn't affected by his illness, so in terms of intellect he almost certainly achieved what we would have done, had he remained able-bodied.

Stephen's form of MND was a rare and particularly nasty early onset, slow progress disease, and he confounded the experts who only gave him two years to live when he was first diagnosed aged only 21. From that point on he increasingly missed out what the rest of us take for granted, like talking normally, and being able to move around at will - as do all MND disease sufferers.

It's little wonder that Stephen became severely depressed. he battled against it however, and two years ago he alluded to it when he told a lecture audience “Things can get out of a black hole both on the outside and possibly to another universe. So if you feel you are in a black hole, don't give up – there's a way out.”

The world of theoretical physics has lost a true genius.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 14 Mar 2018

A brilliant man not afaid to admit his maistakes either. Always willing to participate in a little humour.

R.I.P.

Old Deuteronomy 16:36 14 Mar 2018

As has happened with Albert Einstein, physicists will still be proving Professor Hawkins right for decades to come. I can only have the greatest respect for outstanding thinkers like him.

Quickbeam 18:56 14 Mar 2018

Super smashing great man.

Oops, mixed him up with the one nearer my level!

the eccentric cyborg 10:23 15 Mar 2018

Ever heard of "the ultimate question" ?

• being "the answer to life, the universe and everything" ?
  • the question for which 'Deep Thought' was commissioned in the original 6 part mini-series "The Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy" ?
  • the answer for which was "42" ?

Re Stephen Hawking;

• his life long ambition: to understand and impart "the answer to life, the universe and everything",
  • he was inflicted with motor neurone disease at an early age, and spent most of his life in 'deep thought',
  • and he was born in ’42 ! … ironic?

Brad C, the eccentric cyborg...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)