Hot Topics

Not looking good for Flybe

Al94 23:54 12 Jan 2020

Reports tonight look ominous Flybe collapse

morddwyd 19:29 14 Jan 2020

If predictions of a drop in Air Passenger Duty to support Flybe are true, I look forward to a drop in alcohol duty to help ailing pubs stay in business.

Forum Editor 22:51 14 Jan 2020

morddwyd

I'm not sure that last post made much sense, but perhaps it wasn't intended to.

In any event, it looks as though Flybe has been offered a lifeline.

Quickbeam 06:55 15 Jan 2020

I see the sense in morddwyd's post.

Quickbeam 07:18 15 Jan 2020

I know that it doesn't apply to the remote islands, but with us being encouraged to refrain from flying or driving long distances within Britain, the better investment is surely a full modernisation of the rail infrastructure that's getting on for 200 years old without any appreciable upgrading for the 21st century.

That includes the HS routes which are effectively motorways without cars and more outlying small towns having their stations reopened to make good use of the freed up current main line space.

Although Boris's naive idea to reopen all the axed Beeching lines is largely impossible on account that large sections have been developed over or reclaimed into farm land, there would be a possibility to work on a lighter weight inter-town tramway system almost using the original Beeching routes with some deviation around the lost sections.

Getting back to Flybe, I can see an argument for government help for an air service that serves remote areas, as I can also for remote pubs that are the social key in remote areas as per morddwyd's comment.

Quickbeam 07:20 15 Jan 2020

Hmmm, I appear to have drifted into a Ronnie Corbet armchair deviation...

morddwyd 08:56 15 Jan 2020

Well, well!

It appears that a major investor in Flybe is Delta, an American airline.

Quelle Surprise!

Quickbeam 10:35 15 Jan 2020

Also it wouldn't be good business karma to let another airline fail just before Brexit. It would take the 'celebration' into a negative start!

Quickbeam 16:33 15 Jan 2020

BA have filed a complaint about this. I presume that they want the same benefit on offer!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

The story behind Royal Mail's new video game stamp set

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

iPad Air 2020 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs