Not all the younger generation are bad.

grumpy old man 14:04 16 Aug 2019

On the day of my mums funeral , last Friday , the undertaker walked in front of the hearse all the way up to the main road then stood in the middle of the road and stopped all the traffic.

I looked out of the limousine window and at the side of the road their was a guy in his early 20's , you know the type , a scruffy local Herbert who would probably have mugged you if he got the chance.

BUT what he did left me speechless , head bowed with his hands crossed in front of him he gave us a polite and respectable nod. We stopped a few seconds for the undertaker to get back in the hearse. It was so unexpected I wanted to say thank you but in the few seconds I had I could not find a window button on the door.

Have any of you had something done for you from a person you would have least expected it from.

Dunk 15:04 16 Aug 2019

" a guy in his early 20's , you know the type , a scruffy local Herbert who would probably have mugged you if he got the chance."

Sorry, but that says more about you than him. Do you automatically assume any scruffy young person is a potential mugger? You must be frightened to go out of your house if that's the mindset.

grumpy old man 15:22 16 Aug 2019

Sorry dunk but you seem to have missed the point of my comments and thats exactly why i made them, he did look like the type of person that most people would think could be up to no good , read the sentance begining BUT... as this demonstrates i was wrong.

I note you have not commented on my last sentance , i have never seen your name on here before but all the regulars know that my comments would not be meant as offensive to anyone

Cymro. 15:23 16 Aug 2019

I have always said our youngsters are the salt of the earth. They nurse our sick for us, look after us when we grow old and end up in nursing homes, fight our wars for us plus a million other things we would never do for the sort of wages they get. All this without even the right to vote or qualify for a proper wage.

oresome 15:34 16 Aug 2019

Not all the younger generation are bad

Of course they aren't! Like the population as a whole the vast majority are decent human beings.

Teenagers may push the boundaries a little till they find their way in life, but we were all young once.

PS

My condolences on your loss. I'm sure you mum has left you with some happy memories.

grumpy old man 15:37 16 Aug 2019

Hi cymro i agree with everything you say and it came home to everyone the day 8 coffins were flown back home on the same day from a war zone , they were all late teens early 20'S . Maybe dunk did not get where i was coming from.

grumpy old man 15:43 16 Aug 2019

Oresome i agree with you as well and thanks for mum comment.

Pine Man 15:46 16 Aug 2019

GOM

I think I know what you are getting at but it all comes out wrong, as follows:

a guy in his early 20's , you know the type , a scruffy local Herbert who would probably have mugged you if he got the chance.

When this is pointed out by Dunk you justify what you have said by the following:

he did look like the type of person that most people would think could be up to no good.

You acknowledge you shouldn't judge people by their appearance but continue to do so.

Your question in the last sentence:

Have any of you had something done for you from a person you would have least expected it from.

I expect nothing from anybody but I'm grateful for what I get.

grumpy old man 16:21 16 Aug 2019

ok so I hope to redeem myself a bit with another example , some youngsters can be lippy to parents to make themselves look good in front of there pals , I think its the "I said no to being told what to do syndrome".

Cut me a bit of slack here please I am sure some of you have seen or heard this at some time in your life , you might even have done it yourself.

Then to balance this out my wife who is in a wheelchair comes home from a solo shopping trip and says a 5 year old ran up to her and asked if she wanted anything reaching for her AND followed her to the exit and opened the door, not only that she was not prompted to do so by her parents.

Hence the title of the thread , "not all the younger generation are bad".

Dunk 16:26 16 Aug 2019

grumpy old man

I wasn't taking offence, I was just surprised that you felt it possible to make such a judgement from the way someone was dressed.

I completely understand your overall pleasant surprise that all scruffy youngsters are not necessarily bad. Completely agree with that.

Pine Man 16:28 16 Aug 2019

GOM

I get what you mean it's the way you were putting it. Nobody is disputing that:

"not all the younger generation are bad".

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)