norwich cathederal a step too far.

grumpy old man 17:29 09 Aug 2019

You all know my 97 year old mum passed away recently , her funeral was today. I have just watched the news about Norwich cathederal having the helter skelter inside.

As I die hard church attender all her life I know exactly what she would have said about that. She would have said that's a step too far.

I confess that I did not follow in mums footsteps and did not go to church regular but when I saw the helter skelter story even I said that it should not have been allowed.

Out of respect for my mums religious beliefs when all my mates were getting done for shop lifting or fighting at football matches I was behaving myself. I did not want the church elders saying to her we saw your sons name in the naughty section of the local paper.

She brought me up to know the difference between right from wrong , she taught me to respect my elders and DONT do anything that you would not like to have done to yourself.

I have certainly got something to live up to and I doubt I ever will but I will do my best.

oresome 17:51 09 Aug 2019

I'm a non-believer, but would expect the majority of churchgoers to be appalled by this.

Surely a place of worship is absolutely the wrong place for a fairground attraction.

It smacks of desperation to get visitor numbers up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 09 Aug 2019

click here several other church goers would agree.

But this depends on your perspective. A chance to get closer to the roof and view the building's architecture or sensory pleasure destroying the peace of the soul?

The church needs to get funds to preserve the building and this might help get people into the place and who knows 'God works in mysterious ways'.

Religions need tolerance not aggravation.

Goodnight and may your God go with you.

Belatucadrus 20:54 09 Aug 2019

I suspect it depends on the deportment of those that use it, walk up and peruse the ceiling with reverent awe then slide down quietly contemplating the artistry.

OR

Race up to the top shoving aside the wrinklies that get in the way then dive down the slide yelling WEEEEEE as loud as you can before repeating until boredom sets in.

Maybe they need a few hefty Dominican monks with reinforced croziers to enforce discipline.

Quickbeam 06:39 10 Aug 2019

At £2 a time, it's a fund raiser for an ancient building. Collectively we don't do church anymore, so they can't raise sufficient funds from regular church goers. What's the problem?

oresome 08:41 10 Aug 2019

'What's the problem'

Well it seems to me inappropriate both for the worshipper and for the tourist who visits to admire the historic building.

There's normally a sense of awe when visiting these cavernous structures which will be ruined by the screeching ride goers and flashing lights.

grumpy old man 09:07 10 Aug 2019

Hi quickbeam i am afraid we gonna have to disagree on this one , i was not aware they were charging £2 a time for funds but i still stand by my origonal comments. There is a time and a place for everything , even when people say you should move with the times this is still wrong.

My mums methodist church got extra people through the doors because they dropped 1 rule , they agreed to do christenings and marridges even if you were NOT a regular church goer or they never saw you again. All they asked was put something in the collection plate.

Quickbeam 16:13 10 Aug 2019

“...will be ruined by the screeching ride goers and flashing lights.”

I don't think it opens during services...

oresome 18:12 10 Aug 2019

I don't think it opens during services...

That's correct, they need the mats back for kneeling on whilst praying

Govan1x 19:16 10 Aug 2019

Shops also have problems but they move onto the internet where they can sell their goods cheaper.

The church needs funds as it sits there most of the week empty.

A bright idea to open it up to the community but mostly for children has to be good for the church.

So instead of going round the doors knockin to try and get more parishioners they have came up with a good idea they get more visiting the church and make money at the same time.

Maybe the church has changed a lot since I was young but i do remember how boring it was and a very hard job to keep your eyes open.

it maybe a toss up who falls asleep the most, The parishioners or those at the House of Lords.

Now it is a toss up will they gain more Parishioners or loose more with there money making scheme.

Only time will tell.

A very famous person once said.

Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs