No more working for Nothing Maybe

Govan1x 09:53 19 Mar 2018

Noticed that a bill making its way through Parliament at the moment that having to work for nothing while training in any job is to be scrapped.

I would say not before time.

My grand daughter who is at university has to work for 6 weeks at an animal shelter for nothing. She could have a job and get paid for it to help her survive at Uni but no she has to work for free. While she was at college she had to work for 6 weeks at a dog kennel unpaid.

That is only one instance of people that have to work for nothing there must be loads more.

It is only a bill at the moment so have no idea if it will get passed or not. but as it has been put forward by an MP from north of the border maybe not.

Saying that it seems to have backing from all party's so it is a wait and see scenario.

Any thoughts on the matter a good idea of scrapping it or not.

Old Deuteronomy 10:23 19 Mar 2018

I don't see anything changing whilst the Tories remain (just about) in power.

Forum Editor 10:50 19 Mar 2018

....as it has been put forward by an MP from north of the border maybe not."

What on earth has that got to do with whether the Bill becomes law or not?

Whilst I am in general agreement with the principle involved, there is another point of view on this.

If I am running a business, and someone turns up, wanting a job, one of my first questions would be 'Do you have any experience in this field?'. If the answer is 'no' I am faced with the prospect of having to spend time and money training said person, during which period he or she is less likely to make a contribution to my profits.

In effect, this Bill seeks to make it compulsory for businesses to pay the training costs and pay a wage as well. No problem if the individual concerned genuinely seeks to make a career in my company, but what if I get a student who - as almost all of them do - wants to work for a few months, or possibly a year while they are doing a degree course, and then disappear to pursue their chosen path? I will have spent a lot of money on someone for very little return.

This subject is not as straightforward as it might at first appear. Companies who employ students might argue that they should get tax breaks to help offset their cost overheads. Otherwise, we are likely to see it become much more difficult for students to get temporary jobs in the first place. Fruit picking and the like would be available because very little skill is involved, and therefore there's no need for extensive training. Getting a job with say, a legal firm might ve a very different proposition.

wee eddie 11:19 19 Mar 2018

And what about little girls mucking out Riding Stables?

Govan1x 11:22 19 Mar 2018

Now that is talking with an employers hat on.My personal view is if they want to train someone for a new job then they have to pay that person a wage.

Not only do they have them working for nothing but the individualls have to pay for transport to get them there and back. Even apprentices get paid.

Like the rise in fuel costs. Companys pass the fuel price on to the customer so any future employer would automatically do the same.

If the companys want you to work or train.[training is still work whatever way you look at it]. Now if they just want you in for an interview that is different.

Nobody should have to work for nothing as they have got to eat the same as the rest of us.

Myself I think it should be Law but everyone has their own opinion and i cant see that happening while the Tory party is in Government but always happy to be proved wrong.

Pablo de Catio 11:26 19 Mar 2018

A trial period should be a couple of hours or upto a day at most. In most situations it should be possible to see if the applicant is suitable.

Any more time than that and the employer should pay for hours worked.

Cymro. 11:26 19 Mar 2018

Personally I see it as just exploitation. There must be some benefit to the companies who take on people like this. They could at least pay them something if only to encourage the youngster. The goodwill generated must have some value and whatever the youngsters do in the future they are going to be in the job market for many years to come. Treat them right now and they are much more likely to return to work for the same companies in the future.

Govan1x 13:09 19 Mar 2018

Cymro.

Yesteryear you were offered a Week.Fortnigh or months trial to see if you were up to the job or shorter if they thought you were not suitable.

An instance of how it infects others. As I was saying my Grandaughter is a Student and has a part time weekend job to help out. Now she has to work for 6 weeks for nothing whereas she could be working in her proper job and getting paid for it.

Forum Editor 14:01 19 Mar 2018

"Now that is talking with an employers hat on."

Firstly, what's wrong with employers having an opinion, and secondly, why don't you read what I actually said, rather than letting your prejudices rule your mind?

I started my post by saying that I am in general agreement with the principles involved. My main point however, dealt specifically with students because you specifically mentioned your granddaughter in your opening post.

At no point did I suggest that anyone should work for nothing.

Students who get temporary jobs to help them with money when they are at college or university, usually (although not always)have no intention of staying with an employer when they leave or graduate - they are using the employer in that sense. Most of those students will have little or no knowledge about the business they join - they just want money in their pockets. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that attitude, but to penalise an employer because he/she has to train someone who is obviously just passing through, seems to me to be somewhat unfair.

By all means let's end any kind of exploitation of temporary workers, but the pendulum doesn't necessarily have to swing so far in the opposite direction. It would be possible to account for temporary student workers in the legislation, in a way that would be fair to both parties.

If it's not done, employers will simply find ways to avoid employing students, rather than paying out to train people who have no intention of sticking around for long.

wee eddie 15:13 19 Mar 2018

I wrote to Bill Grant, my SMP, with some of my experiences as an Employer in the Catering trade. I was advised not to name the Companies, without proof positive, of these happenings.

I have spoken to Applicants whose previous, or potential, Employers have expected them to work for a day/week for nothing. I know of one employer who uses this method the fill the low-skilled positions in his workforce. Another who withholds (permanently) the tips of all Applicants and New staff.

I regard this as immoral, others have said, "c'est la vie".

bumpkin 19:33 19 Mar 2018

If employers have to train people at their expense I can understand a reluctance to pay those that have no intention of staying. I think there are some companies that will pay you while training on the condition that you stay for a certain amount of time, bus drivers springs to mind.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)