No confidence vote against the PM soon.

Govan1x 10:05 10 Jan 2019

It was revealed on the news this morning that from a labour spokesman that there would be a no confidence vote against the Prime Minister soon.

It seems all other political party's have agreed to this so just a matter of waiting to see how the prime minister deals with the brexit question and whether she keeps to her deal only.

It does not look like her deal is going to survive and if so she has 3 days on which to ammend her deal.

A way out of it maybe be to stand down and let another Tory party Mp be PM.

Obviously a new general election maybe called for but maybe a case of out of the frying pan and into the Fire comes to mind.

Just when we thought things could not get any worse it looks like it will.

Myself i think the EU is trying there best to keep us in the EU and it is a warning to other countries not to try it.

So the only way out of being bullied into accepting something that none of us want would of course be a no deal. Any other deal and there is only one winner and it is not us.

Looks like this saga is going to continue for years to come and with the country split down the middle it is not going to be easy to resolve.

No party that takes us out of the EU or keeps us in will never be popular for a long time.

No matter what Party it is there will be no winners in the long run.

Forum Editor 14:57 12 Jan 2019

Govan1x

"...whatever is agreed 50% of the country will be disappointed with it."

If anything, a referendum is the ultimate democratic process. There are usually two options, and the one that gets the most votes wins. There's not much point in people saying (as some do) that those who voted one way did so without being in full possession of the facts. Both sides could say that, and they would both be right.

Whenever there's a General election lots of candidates offer themselves to the electorate, and I would hazard a guess that the majority of people vote with their hearts, rather than their heads. No doubt most people did that in the referendum - they based their vote on a gut feeling, and perhaps on something they had read or seen on TV.

Quickbeam 15:12 12 Jan 2019

"If it resulted in a new General Election my forecast would be that Labour would win it. Tory party probably 2nd. Lib Dems 3rd. and the SNP taking up the rear."

My prediction would be that both the Tory and Labour parties would lose so many seats on the back of the 2 year A50 negotiating period debacle, that both the LibDems and SNP would have a major influence in the next government. And the price would be electoral reform. Not another referendum, but outright electoral reform.

In fact... it would be sweetly just if a coalition of LibDem, SNP, Plaid Cymru and non nationalist NI MPs could bring that about with the two major fail parties not even getting a look in opinion on the matter!

wee eddie 15:31 12 Jan 2019

QB: If you think that we have a chaotic situation now, what you suggest is asking for mayhem

Quickbeam 16:46 12 Jan 2019

PR with the single transferable vote works well elsewhere, we've become stagnant within the adversarial FPTP system.

Our turn to govern, your turn to govern. Our turn to cock it up, your turn to cock it up. Our turn to at being play king, your turn to play at being king... etc... etc...

We're in our current predicament because of it, and now Labour want their turn early, out of turn.

It's a failed method of democracy.

Govan1x 22:05 13 Jan 2019

Interesting news. The Democratic Unionist Party is expected to vote against the Brexit deal on Tuesday but will vote for the PM if a vote of no confidence goes ahead from the labour party.

It was my belief that the DUP would vote against the PM in a vote of no confidence.

Anyhow I and another few million will probably be watching it live at 7pm on Tuesday.

Quickbeam 22:15 13 Jan 2019

Here's an interesting view on how this whole debacle is affecting the until now accepted safe parliamentary protocols.

All the cards are in the air at the moment as our parliament becomes a collapsing house of cards.

The article is dead right in that however this is resolved, parliament will suffer.

Quickbeam 07:04 14 Jan 2019

As we approach the 11th hour, some of us might consider that a glimmer of common sense is starting to break over the dawning of what realities Brexit contains.

If it fails now, it will be the stubbornness of the hard Brexiteers in not accepting the May deal. The May deal offers an ordered exit that could lead to greater independence of greater reunification depending on how Brexit may pan out over the next few years.

But still, they want it all their way, no compromise, no chance of reconciliation. The price of which is now looking like no Brexit at all. Which of course will not leave all of us distraught. But until this morning, I was becoming subdued to the idea of the May plan with it's open positive premise of a future EU relationship.

I'm sure that even the most devoted of hardline Brexiteers must realise that voting the May withdrawal bill down will not just open a Pandora's Box within parliament, but completely blow the lid off...

Forum Editor 10:23 14 Jan 2019

A sense of perspective is a wonderful thing.

There has been so much discussion and so many millions of words written on so many platforms (this one included) and so much theorising about a variety of scenarios, that whatever the aftermath of tomorrow's vote in the house there will be large numbers of people who will be able to say 'I told you so'. No doubt they'll gain some satisfaction from that, if nothing else.

The fact is, a year from now we will be getting on with our lives - making and selling goods and services, planning our summer holidays, thinking about what to have for dinner tonight, and moaning about our government. In short, life will go on.

My philosophy has always been to regard my glass as being at least half full, and it has stood me in good stead. I know people who will see their glass as being half empty, and I hear them complaining about it day in and day out, usually blaming others for pretty well everything that's wrong with their lives.

Whatever happens over the coming months, we will survive. Our economy may wobble, but we'll be in good company. Our heads may go down for a while, but we'll recover. Look at our history and you'll see us overcoming adversity time after time.

Quickbeam 12:19 14 Jan 2019

One of the more entertaining suggestions to the parliamentary impasse that I heard on a Fivelive phone in was that the MPs should be locked into a Commons Conclave until an agreed solution was reached.

He quoted that the longest Papal Conclave was from 1268 to 1271, and in desperation to sharpen their resolve, "The election occurred more than a year after the magistrates of Viterbo locked the cardinals in, reduced their rations to bread and water, and removed the roof of the Palazzo dei Papi di Viterbo"

That should sort them out!

john bunyan 14:05 14 Jan 2019

I thought a couple of Cardinals died whilst locked in!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S10 review: Hands-on

How Samsung has redesigned its interface to be more like Apple and less like Android

iPhone XS vs Samsung Galaxy S10

Samsung Galaxy Fold : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique