Is the NHS now trying to recaim patient costs

hssutton 20:12 10 Nov 2019

My 81year old wife has received a letter from the NHS informing her that she will be charged for her treatment unless she prooves her eligbiity for treatment along with a list of various charges. They also list wht is acceptable to proove her eligibility such as a passport, EU passport, bus pass or utility bill with her name on it or driving licence. My wife has none of these apart from an out of date passport. Has anyone else received such a demanding letter?

Al94 21:06 10 Nov 2019

Long overdue!

Blackhat 21:10 10 Nov 2019

Out of date passport should be OK. I have used mine for ID a few times since it expired.

hssutton 21:14 10 Nov 2019

Blackhat. I have emailed a copy of the out of date passport, waiting to hear what they say.

x13 21:34 10 Nov 2019

Surely a birth certificate should also be proof?

hssutton 22:04 10 Nov 2019

x13. Birth certificate is not on the list, But actually that was not really the question. I was asking if anyone else had had a similar letter. I was always under the impression that a NI number was sufficient.

john bunyan 22:07 10 Nov 2019

hssutton

This is outrageous! I would get on to your MP immediately and even involve a local newspaper. How do these jobsworths think your wife has been treated before, or, presumably, getting a pension?

mrgrumpy 22:19 10 Nov 2019

without asking for your wifes medical problem which I accept is none of my business I don't understand why she should be asked for these items. If I break my leg I go to hospital get fixed and go home , end of story.

A few years ago stories emerged that uk residents were having family visits from relatives abroad and within a few weeks "just happen to have a medical problem". This has been highlighted on lots of news stories where overseas visitors found a way to come here and get free medical treatment.

I am NOT suggesting you or your wife are one of these people.

Forum Editor 22:21 10 Nov 2019

I think a lot of people are getting these letters, and for obvious reasons.

It's annoying for your wife, but it would be even more annoying if she was told that there were no funds for her treatment because of the numbers of foreign visitors who come here specifically to milk our free health system.

mrgrumpy 22:31 10 Nov 2019

10 OUT OF 10 TO FE , you support what I said.

Dunk 07:39 11 Nov 2019

Don't worry, when we get the "strong Boris government" that it seems is the desire of the FE, we'll all be getting letters like that, when he sells our NHS to his pal Trump. God help us all when our doctors carry clipboards instead of stethoscopes and want to see a credit card before treating you.

Certainly won't be much joy getting old!! Maybe that's Cummings' plan after all.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !