Hot Topics

NHS Hospitals Failing To Properly Care For Elderly Patients

johndrew 14:39 13 Oct 2011
Answered

I don't know about anyone else, but this sends shivers up my spine.

What has happened to the caring side of nursing? Is it all down to better qualification and less natural ability? Or is everything down to money and administration?

dikul 15:01 13 Oct 2011

johndrew I broadly agree with your sentiments, however, I have just heard on our local radio tht one of my local NHS trusts is looking to change nurses' hours to a standard 12 hour shift with one 20 minute break after 6 hours and no other time allowed for coffee/tea breaks. That way they reckon that they can meet the deficit reduction budget by using just over half as many qualified nursing staff and asking the relatives to look after the non medical needs of the patients, such as feeding and washing.

Aitchbee 16:44 13 Oct 2011
Answer

I think I do not want to grow old!

johndrew 20:11 13 Oct 2011

"I think I do not want to grow old!"

A bit late for some of us!!!

Aitchbee 12:25 14 Oct 2011

My friend, who has been a nurse for 25 years,in the Mansionhouse Hospital, in the south-side of Glasgow - and knows what she's talking about - said to me, that if you have an old relative who needs care, hospitalization is not a good option, if possible they should be cared for in their own home. I have four elderly neighbours, who get looked after in their own homes, and they are all the better for it.They have a key safe outside their doors to let the carers in; it has a combination lock with a secret 4-digit number.

johndrew 12:34 14 Oct 2011

Mr Mistoffelees

Whilst I agree there are many very competent and caring nurses and doctors in the NHS, there are those who view their function simply as being present to do a job. This, at least in part, seems to cause a huge problem for patients.

Additionally there is the type of lack of observation/consideration mentioned by fourm member above. If such had occurred in the days of a Hattie Jacques type Matron all hell would have broken loose. Today it could easily result in death.

spuds 13:14 15 Oct 2011

I fully agree that we should have the 'old style' matron's back on the wards. My local hospital trust re-introduced matron's in a big blaze of glory and publicity. The only problem was that the 'matrons' were more budget managers seeing over a number of wards, than anything else.

In the four days spent in hospital on one occasion, I only saw the wards allocated matron once. And that was when she asked my consent for a photo shoot, which was for a reassurance exercise for future patients. The photo shoot consisted of arrival and intro, settling down, being consulted, heading to the operating theatre on a trolley. I do believe those same photos are still being used today. It didn't show the morphine drip coming loose in the night, and only an auxilary nurse available to make a note and do a bit of cleaning up, because she wasn't authorised to make any reconnections.

With regards to council social services and hospital care, there are laws about this. But in many cases hospitals are having to 'retain in their care' even though they should have been medically discharged, elderly patients, because the social services cannot provide so called suitable accomodation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)