New Zealand set to make radical gun law changes...

Quickbeam 06:42 18 Mar 2019
Answered

...quite quickly.

The NZ PM was saying on the news that the pro gun lobby can offer no credible argument in opposing such changes and that the public opinion is fully in favour of this action being taken very quickly.

Not the guaranteed solution that the CNN link suggests, but they will be horrified that the same public opinion may catch on in the USA, but if you don't have legal machine guns to start with...

wee eddie 22:45 20 Mar 2019

oresome: b*lcks. A law banning Automatic and Semi Automatic guns is a no brainer, What will be more contentious may be regulations to get those already in circulation, out of the hands of the General Public

qwbos 00:58 21 Mar 2019

…..a political leader can be sure of public opinion being behind them. Introducing new laws in such circumstances is probably not the wisest time.

It's exactly why it's the best time. The gun lobby, whether in New Zealand or anywhere else, have their arguments permanently locked and loaded. Leave it a month or so and the momentum will be lost.

Why anybody needs to have automatic weapons in a country like New Zealand, where the most dangerous animals are two legged rats, is a mystery to me.

Quickbeam 18:13 21 Mar 2019

Just do it! No problemo...

Dare I suggest that she had the will of the people with her;)

KEITH 1955 18:53 21 Mar 2019

If every country in the world paid gun makers to close down their factories the problem would not go away because their are already millions of guns in circulation so a bit of paper saying you must not have one wont make any difference at all.

wee eddie 20:28 21 Mar 2019

Keith, no one doubts that but, over time, the number in circulation will be reduced and it will become more difficult to obtain one.

john bunyan 00:29 22 Mar 2019

A few years ago on a Business visit to Karachi I was told how easy it is to buy weapons in Peshawar. Still true I believe.

Kakashnikov

Quickbeam 12:05 10 Apr 2019

The New Zealand government has just passed tough new gun laws by a majority of 119/1

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old Deuteronomy 20:38 10 Apr 2019

When New Zealand's PM announced this was going to happen, she said the gun lobby would just have to put up with it, or words to that effect. America's presidents are too spineless and their politicians too far in the NRA's pocket. Americans should be ashamed of themselves. deeply ashamed.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)