New LED street lights, what to call them

Graham* 19:33 11 Nov 2016

Would it be correct to call them 'gas lamps' once more?

Old Deuteronomy 20:20 11 Nov 2016

New LED street lights, what to call them

Lighty McLightface?

BT 08:27 12 Nov 2016

Graham*

And why would you want to call the Gas Lamps, or am I missing something?

I think I'll just continue calling them Street Lamps☺

Govan1x 08:49 12 Nov 2016

Our town has just renewed all of the street lights probably because the old ones were not bright enough or maybe using up to much energy.

The outcome was very bright street lights till they went round and dimmed them all.

I just can not see the point of renewing all our street lights just to make the place darker. And I am talking a lot darker than what the old ones were.

Forum Editor 12:39 12 Nov 2016

They are not gas lamps so no, it would not be correct to call them by that name.

Forum Editor 12:41 12 Nov 2016

Govan1x

"I just can not see the point of renewing all our street lights...."

The point is that LED lights are far cheaper to run, and have a very long operating life.

I can't comment on the brightness or otherwise of the lights where you live, because I haven't seen them.

bumpkin 13:58 12 Nov 2016

'gas lamps' yes that is a good idea and we could re-name gas pipes as electrical cables at the same time.

Govan1x 10:44 13 Nov 2016

Will describe it as using headlights in a car and using sidelights only. Even with the lights on streets on it is still dark.

Talking about a town of about 50.000 - 60.000 residents and they have renewed every Lamppost only to make the streets darker.

Save money, Probably in the long term.

All old lampposts had to be removed first before installing the new ones.

Just found this and it looks like it was for the whole of Northamptonshire and the government is footing most of the bill.

Click here

lotvic 13:16 13 Nov 2016

I preferred the 'warmer' sodium lights, cosy feel. LED lights are blue heavy and harsh, also read that the 'blue' suppresses melatonin level so causes sleep pattern problems.

Advantage for driving, as drivers will stay more alert, but disruptive in home at bedtime as melatonin is the the sleep hormone.

bumpkin 13:39 13 Nov 2016

You have a street light in your bedroom?

robin_x 15:18 13 Nov 2016

Well...bit of a stretch...but can't electrons and the electron cloud be considered gaseous at the quantum level?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Redmi 8 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleures séries Netflix