The new layout at BBC weather website. It sucks.

Aitchbee 20:03 03 Feb 2018
Answered

I think it's pretty awful. Why can't their web designers stop tweaking things?

It's not easy to get any feedback from the BEEB.

wee eddie 20:11 03 Feb 2018
Answer

It changes because they have to do something to justify their fee

john bunyan 20:32 03 Feb 2018

I prefer the Met Office App

Belatucadrus 20:34 03 Feb 2018

I've never understood why they bother with the long range forecasts if they predict the next forty eight hours right it's unusual. Chances that the prediction for two weeks away is going to be correct slim to nil.

As to the redesign it just follows the ethos they usually go for

1. Add complexity being sure to enhance clutter clean design is a no no.
  2. Reduce functionality.
  3. Make sure never to consult users, ungrateful buggers will just moan.
  Aitchbee 22:53 03 Feb 2018

Hint to BBC; instead of those monotonous paw marks to represent rain, what about something more practical like 'it's safe to hang out your washing on the line' 10 Pegs being ideal.

Quickbeam 06:17 04 Feb 2018

Yes it's a backwards move. The same 3 raindrops with white cloud showing all day has to be read via the % figure to identify whether it's likely to rain a bit, or a lot.

The old dark cloud with one or two drops was much easier to glance along the day and retain the info in the mind.

The % method doesn't easily stay as a mental if at all!

Quickbeam 06:19 04 Feb 2018

....Stay as a mental image while out...

Quickbeam 06:23 04 Feb 2018

But I see that the old dark raincloud pictograms are retained in the days ahead foreacasts at the bottom...?

Quickbeam 06:40 04 Feb 2018

I've just downloaded the Met app, that uses % likelyhood too, but at least the cloud goes dark after 10%

I could retain the old format from a quick single glance all day while I was out. I've forgotten today's weather trend 3 times already and it's only 6.45...

I'm afraid HB is right BBC, it truly sucks!

Pine Man 08:29 04 Feb 2018

Well I quite like it.

Jollyjohn 08:54 04 Feb 2018

I too think it is awful. Also I need to do an extra click now to get my local forecast. Last time they changed it there was a feedback pop up but it hasn't appeared yet, perhaps they don't want the feedback!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?