New car "flagged" by police

  wids001 08:03 23 Apr 2011

One of my grandsons, who is 19, bought a second-hand VW golf. He has this about 9 months and it is taxed, MOT'd and insured fully comp, and in excellent condition.

However, he keeps getting pulled over by Police - twice last week at these new road blocks they have started to set up to catch drivers breaking the law - so much so that he is seriously considering selling it on. Apparently it has been flagged by the Police because a previous owner was caught with drugs. My daughter, who has made a complaint about this to them was told by them that he needed to contact the DVLA to have this flag removed. The DVLA say they have no record of this!

What to do - any suggestions.

  interzone55 09:10 23 Apr 2011

I'd advise you to make an official complaint, because they are seriously impinging on your son's freedom of movement.

Independent Police Complaints Commission

  Chris the Ancient 10:22 23 Apr 2011

It's not the DVLA who flag it... it's the police.

Perhaps a nice chat at the local police station with all documents to prove change of ownership?

  anchor 11:14 23 Apr 2011

I have found that contacting your MP is often an efficient method of resolving problems.

Search for him/her by name and you will probably find an e-mail address.

  peter99co 11:24 23 Apr 2011

At these new road blocks they have started to set up to catch drivers breaking the law.

Are you able to tell us what area in GB these are?

I wish they would use them where I live.

  wids001 12:31 23 Apr 2011


Chelmsford in Essex. Practically every Saturday along Stock Road they are there at varing times. As you approach the roundabout onto Stock Road there is normally a casual looking man or woman leaning against the railings. He/she has a radio to inform the block about 1/2 mile along the road of anyone using their mobile, not wearing seat belts etc. Once past this point they have you (anyone who is breaking the law). As you approach the road block they have the number recognition van (ANPR)reading the number plates and at the road block one officer has a speed camera. Any one flagging the ANPR or who has been seen earlier at the roundabout breaking the law is directed into a side road where other police sort out the offences.

On the occasions I've been past there always seems to be a queue of vehicles waiting to be seen. Usually there are around 20 police in total. Normally they're gone within a couple of hours and relocate to other areas around the town.

  wee eddie 13:36 23 Apr 2011

I'm impressed, sounds like very efficient use of Police Resources.

Your Chief Constable should be commended.

  TopCat® 13:44 23 Apr 2011

Any policeman worth his salt would have explained to your grandson just how to go about getting the car off their list. Would have saved both them and your grandson all the wasted time and the aggro. TC.

  WhiteTruckMan 16:35 23 Apr 2011

"Any policeman worth his salt..."

...Or his pension...


  spuds 21:48 23 Apr 2011

It would appear that the vehicle as a PNC marker on it from possibly the previous owners activities. Contact your local Constabulary and address your communications to the Chief Constable, who will redirect the communications to the appropriate person for a response.

If the vehicle as a PNC marker, then the vehicle 'could' be stopped by any police force for a roadside check. Remote nameplate identification cameras will also pick the vehicle up, with possible surveillance or stop on the vehicle being conducted for future intelligence.

If he sells the vehicle, he will only pass the same problem onto the next owner. Try to get the matter sorted asap.

  Forum Editor 23:11 23 Apr 2011

Your grandson's car probably has what is called a Police CAD marker on the registration.At some point it has been involved in a Police stop involving drugs, or firearms, or even just an alcohol prosecution, and the officer involved in the stop placed a marker in a special database - called CAD.

The marker can be removed, but it must be done by the first Police officer who makes a subsequent 'all clear' stop. Your grandson should talk to the next officer who stops him, explain the situation, and ask the officer to update the CAD entry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A8 review: Hands-on

Illustrator Juan Esteban Rodriguez on creating highly detailed official film posters for Star Wars…

iMac Pro review

Meilleurs drones (2018)