Neighbour's house extension, advice please.

rickf 14:05 04 Mar 2019

My neighbour is having his house gutted and an extension built at the back which needs digging for a new foundation. We share a driveway to garages at back of house. His house is just short of 10ft away from mine. The rule of thumb is if it's 10ft or more then then is no potential threat of problems. His surveyor said it should'nt be a problem with subsidence as it's almost 10 feet away from mine. I have now been receiving letters from independent surveyors canvassing me if I want to have a survey done on my house to have proof of condition before work starts next door in case damage occurs subsequently. Should I take this up?

Aitchbee 20:09 04 Mar 2019

I would seek professional legal advice immediately. Don't let it get out of hand!

click here

oresome 13:59 05 Mar 2019

Google Party Wall Act.

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

amonra9 14:42 05 Mar 2019

As well as seeking advice from an independant surveyor, take as many photos as you can of ALL the lower walls and other areas likely to be affected by subsidence. You can't argue with photographic evidence.

rickf 15:02 05 Mar 2019

Thanks all. All suggestions comply with what I have been doing.

rickf 15:04 05 Mar 2019

Ticked the wrong thing. All answered.

Forum Editor 18:24 05 Mar 2019

"Should I take this up?" No. Most people are inundated with letters about surveys and party wall agreements as soon as a neighbour makes a planning application.

"His surveyor said it should'nt be a problem with subsidence as it's almost 10 feet away from mine."

He's right, but commonsense dictates that it's worth taking lots of photos, as suggested by others. Take photos of absolutely everything - the outside and inside of any of the walls facing your neighbour's property. If you have any existing cracks in the walls, photograph them and measure them. Record the information on paper.

Put everything (photos on a memory card) into an envelope and post it to yourself by registered delivery. Put the unopened envelope in a safe place, and sit back and relax. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Aitchbee 19:47 05 Mar 2019

Put everything (photos on a memory card) into an envelope and post it to yourself by registered delivery. Put the unopened envelope in a safe place, and sit back and relax.

Some great advice there, FE. { like something out of a spy novel }

Quickbeam 20:24 05 Mar 2019

Is it necessary to wear a spy mac...?

Gordon Freeman 08:47 06 Mar 2019

Put everything (photos on a memory card) into an envelope and post it to yourself by registered delivery. Put the unopened envelope in a safe place, and sit back and relax. I'm sure everything will be fine

FE is not normally known for doing 'humour', but is this actually a serious reply?

Why on earth would he post it to himself if he's already in possession of it?

BT 09:10 06 Mar 2019

Why on earth would he post it to himself if he's already in possession of it?

Its a way of memorialising the information. A sealed Registered envelope sets what we would call a 'Restore point' these days, in the timeline of the information contained therein. Its not a new idea. Its been used for many years of setting the Copyright date of manuscripts, photographs etc.

The main problem these days is that the old registered post of former days doesn't exist in its previous form. The nearest option now is !st Class Signed for (Proof of Delivery).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?