Hot Topics

Nearly 2,000 fraud offences are committed

Forum Editor 13:34 25 Jan 2020

every day in Englsnd and Wales, and only 1 in 50 of those cases is ever prosecuted. The large majority of those frauds are perpetrated online, and the Police can't cope with the sheer volume.

Last year, The Times newspaper investigated how reports of fraud are handled, and there are some disturbing revelations in a BBC piece about the huge increase in reports of fraud. It makes you realise how important it is to do everything possible to prevent yourself from becoming part of a worrying set of statistics.

Advice about how to protect yourself from becoming a victim is everywhere, and I am not going to reiterate it here - much of it is commonsense in any case. If you are not sure about what precautions to take, have a look at this and download the little book of big scams.

wee eddie 10:44 26 Jan 2020

Thank you FE

mrgrumpy 11:26 26 Jan 2020

Hi FE I found the "have a look at this" article very interesting , it also hit a raw nerve with me , I did a similar posting to somebody in a thread beginning "Telephone calls …." in the response I got I felt as if I was being chastised for trying to help users , yourself and other people did not seem to think I needed to offer advice to others , please look at that thread , I found the comments by Gordon Freeman totally unwarranted .

I wonder if they will have a go at you for posting similar advice.

With regards to fraud anyway , the one thing I hate is tax fraud because an individual work has no choice but to pay tax , it gets deducted form your wages by the company accountant.

x13 11:46 26 Jan 2020

I think that most of us here are pretty savvy about security but it can only take a moment's lack of concentration and even the best of could fall to malware/scams. These kinds of posts are a good reminder to us all to be on our toes.

mrgrumpy 11:53 26 Jan 2020

Hi x13 I agree with you and that's why I got annoyed in the posting I mentioned , some users did not seem to think THEY needed telling how to help protect themselves.

mrgrumpy 11:55 26 Jan 2020

BTW I am not a young nerd who thinks he knows best, ( I know nobody said that ) , I am 64 years old and I know that others on here are a lot older than me.

Menzie 22:12 26 Jan 2020

There is also another scam called the sim-swap. Where criminals somehow manage to port your number to another sim and are able to access any TFA (Two Factor Authentication) or reset passwords.

Even car theft as changed, they now have devices where they can intercept your key signal and recreate it to open your vehicle.

As technology moves so do the tools and methods that are used.

mrgrumpy 23:02 26 Jan 2020

Hi menzie with regards to your comment on car key intecept THAT shopping site has carbon fibre key pockets to put your keys in to screen the high tech devices from finding and scanning the keys. I have seen videos to show how crooks scan your home with a laptop to get at high tec keys , the laptop then acts as a key to steal the car.

Quickbeam 06:42 29 Jan 2020

I must admit that I seem to have adopted the casual attitude of just batting such attempts aside and carrying on as normal.

Usually with a phone approach faking to be from the police, I adopt the dozy old duffer character and say 'yes, someone was trying to get in the garage last...' and ramble on not listening to them but persisting with any old waffle that comes to mind, they always hang up first!

Quickbeam 06:46 29 Jan 2020

...and for the 'About your recent accident in which you are no way to blame...' lot, if I'm in the mood, I'll detail an accident that gets more and more ridiculous the longer they don't hang up on me.

lotvic 01:45 30 Jan 2020

mrgrumpy

I found the comments by Gordon Freeman totally unwarranted

I found the comments totally warranted.
IMHO You took over the thread with your rambling unasked for 'advice' and other comments. Had I been the TS I would have had the annoyance of your hijack and emails for each irrelevant post from you, and others responding to you, that did not directly relate to the question I'd asked.

I am aware that this is FE's thread about fraud offences.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

How to draw an eye

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio pas chers (2020)