The myth of the "Safe" Password

wee eddie 18:04 14 May 2019

We have been told, time and again, that it is de-rigeur to have a complex password, or at the least, something more complex than 12345678 or QWERTY. So that it cannot easily be hacked.

The prescribed solution is to have a Password Manager, which will "free associate" any number of complex Passwords.

However, it is almost certain that all your Passwords, whether simple or complex, are in the hands of the Criminal Classes, as almost every Site of Note has been hacked, frequently, more than once.

The only consolation, well to my mind anyway, is that they have so many passwords on file that, with any luck, it will take them several decades to get round to me!

wee eddie 18:09 14 May 2019

I should add that your Finger-print or Iris photo are just converted into a string of Numbers & Letters, and then stored in one of these aforementioned Hacked Sites

Forum Editor 18:58 14 May 2019

"...with any luck, it will take them several decades to get round to me!"

Having millions of passwords is not in itself a big deal. You need to know what the passwords give you access to, and then you need to weed out those that give you access to what you want, and that will always be money. There's not much point in someone having my password to my Fishing club membership.

In the main what hackers want is bank details, and only a fool is going to store those on a computer. You'll use them when you access your bank accounts, but no self-respecting bank is going to let you in with just a password - you'll need a unique word, or a passcode number, or a PIN, or a combination of those. Banks make you jumpt through hoops to get your hands anywhere near your own money online, and they do it for good reason - they'll be lambasted in the media if they make it easy.

There have been some memorable hacking events, but relative to the vast number of password entries made every day they have not been that successful. Most money frauds take the form of phishing scams, that's a much easier way to make money than sweating away hacking into password databases.

oresome 19:08 14 May 2019

Looking on the bright side any robbery takes place without inflicting physical harm and the herd mentality suggests it's something that only happens to others as wee eddie hopes.

Cymro. 13:42 15 May 2019

Would it help if we used passwords that were in some foreign language preferably a very obscure one?

Forum Editor 14:20 15 May 2019

"Would it help if we used passwords that were in some foreign language preferably a very obscure one?"

Not really, people who live in foreign countries use their own language for passwords all the time, and they get hacked. To them, our language may be foreign and obscure.

Nobody should be too obsessive about this, there is a lot of unnecessary drama in the media about cyber security. Use alpha-numeric passwords and change them at intervals. Don't let your browser save them. Don't keep a list of them on your computer. Other than that, your best protection is commonsense.

wee eddie 16:24 15 May 2019

If you keep a reference to your Password on your Computer. let it be cryptic and not identifiable as a Password Hint.

I think that I can say with confidence that, if your PC is either a Laptop or Tablet, you need to be doubly vigilant

bremner 18:24 15 May 2019

I should add that your Finger-print or Iris photo are just converted into a string of Numbers & Letters, and then stored in one of these aforementioned Hacked Sites

Certainly with Apple, having what you describe as a string of numbers and letters will not in anyway allow a criminal to access anything as there a multiple levels of obfuscation.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connectés compatibles avec Google Home (2019)