My thoughts and observations on IL/TP.

Brumas 12:47 17 Mar 2018
Answered

I know the old guard make educated GUESSES garnered from sleuthing as to what the postcards are, which of course is the proper way of doing it, but I feel some folk make 'confirmed' GISSES by using GIS which pretty much defeats the whole object of the game!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been conducting an experiment, the cards I do not run through GIS beforehand generally take a fair bit of time to solve whereas the cards that I do run through GIS beforehand are ‘solved’ in a trice !!!

End of mini rant!

Govan1x 13:50 17 Mar 2018

I have to agree with you some of them are solved in a trice like you say. But I have found some just as quick not using that method then I find out I could have got it using GIS. so then have say that i found it using our normal method but it still makes you feel guilty that others may have thought that I had cheated.

I also must admit the ones that do not show using GIS are harder to find but on the other hand they are almost impossible to find and I am always surprised when they are eventually found by some really hard work by those involved.

I have got to the stage when I see some of them I know that I have no or very little chance of finding it so leave it to the others. The rest do not give in so easily but getting older and cant concentrate for long spells anymore but it does not stop me from trying. I Look forward to my Friday nights but find things getting a bit difficult.

When I used to google for Photos in a certain area of the Uk that is what you normally got.Nowadays you get things from all over the world thrown in.

The last one from Manchester I got fairly quickly but not using the fair means. My Brother stayed there for about 15 years so I should have recognised it but never did.

I have noticed Aitchbee is getting better finding some of them, I can see him making Number 1 in the years to come.

Anyhow you are doing a good job entertaining us all Brumas so do not get upset by the odd one that is found quickly and keep up the good work.

Brumas 14:07 17 Mar 2018

Govan1x, thanks for your honest input, as one of the original 'old guard', it is appreciated.

Belatucadrus 14:07 17 Mar 2018

the ones I like best are the bits of weird kit like the milk cooler shaped like a dalek or the ekranoplan, largely as most of the time I'm useless at recognising places.

Quickbeam 14:36 17 Mar 2018

I can only spot the dog...

Brumas 14:48 17 Mar 2018

Belatucadrus, whilst I can only work with what I have I am dependent on Fran's collection and whilst I can't see anymore 'weird' ones I do know she has acquired a collection, 30 or 40 of which are unidentified landscapes, so watch this space.

Quickbeam, sorry old pal but you will have to try harder, you didn't spot that west highland white terrier in the picture of Belford in the snow I posted a while back ;o}}

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 17 Mar 2018

Yes I use an image search (although not a direct GIS) to find the answers.

e.g. the Lake Union one last night

Your stated got to get our feet wet so not UK. Thought the houses look American in style so searched for postcard images of American lakes, found one similar to your postedcard, go lucky.

I use image sites like Francis Firth / Britain from Above / British Castles / Postcards of the past.

My job caused me to travel all over the british Isles in the old days before privateisation by rail and then by car, with a full day to get there would often take a scenic route rather than the motorway especially when I realised I had done evry Motorway in the country in both directions.

Oh I'm giving away my secrets now ;0)

Less of the Scotish ones I rarely venture north of the M8 and so struggle with the ones up there ;0)

Brumas 17:29 17 Mar 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\, if I were doing it I would approach it in the same way, using all the tools available but not GIS - there is no skill or satisfaction in that.

QuizMan 18:21 17 Mar 2018

Using GIS is not playing the game and something I would not do. I do wonder sometimes how some obscure place that I've never heard of gets solved so quickly. I like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that, as a group of people scattered far and wide, there is always going to be someone "local". And, of course, many are far more widely travelled than me.

Quickbeam 19:56 17 Mar 2018

Is GIS the same as EPO?

Brumas 22:39 17 Mar 2018

Quickbeam, now you've got me, GIS is Google Internet Search but what the heck is EPO, surely not what my search brought up?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple