My shopping bag burst into flames

wellshgit 20:43 30 Jun 2010

this morning. I decided to sit down on a bench in town while my wife and daughter raided the clothes shops. Before I sat, I noticed the man who had sat there before me had been smoking. I placed my plastic carrier bag containing some shopping on the ground in front of me. I began reading my newspaper, and suddenly my shopping bag erupted in flames. After frantically stamping out the flames, I had a look to see what could have caused such a sudden eruption. I had bought some steak that was packed in a tray sealed with cellophane. The tray had burned away almost half way along its length. After having worked as an engineer in a meat packing plant I know the tray is filled with a mixture of 75% oxygen and 25% carbon dioxide. So I think I must have placed my carrier bag on a still lit cigarette end which burned a hole in the bag then the tray, releasing the oxygen rich mixture, accelerating the burning.It cerainly added a bit of excitment to my day, but ruined my steak!

peter99co 21:04 30 Jun 2010

Is that because it was to WELL DONE?

Bingalau 21:06 30 Jun 2010

That must be a rare occurance.

octal 21:08 30 Jun 2010

Thanks for the laugh, I like a bit of char-grilled steak.

wellshgit 21:20 30 Jun 2010

It also scorched my wifes box of Special K lol.
But it shows how easily accidents happen.

wiz-king 21:49 30 Jun 2010

Oh well, I bet the air was as blue as your steaK. *grin*

mr simon 23:53 30 Jun 2010

You won't be making that misteak again in a hurry.

I'll get my coat.

Strawballs 04:02 01 Jul 2010

That's why they should ban smoking in public places to many not responsible how they discard butts

wiz-king 05:23 01 Jul 2010

Now if you had been using a green one click here you would have solved the problem by heat sterilisation.

morddwyd 08:01 01 Jul 2010

I thought they packed perishables in nitrogen, as a dry, inert gas?

I would have thought an oxygen rich atmosphere would have hastened decomposition, or does it have something to do with maintaining a nice red colour?

Quickbeam 08:05 01 Jul 2010

If they were packed in an inert gas, the bag would then be a self extinguishing bag. Send for a H&S assessor...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts