Hot Topics

My experiences with LEDs - What do others think?

wee eddie 15:41 05 Nov 2019

I have been an enthusiastic adopter of LED Lighting in the house. They are said to last a long time but cost many times more than the bulbs they replace.

However, I have found that a considerable proportion fail before their allotted span.

My advice: Not only keep the Invoice, but also ensure that you can match the bulb with that particular invoice and keep a record of when it was first activated, and the way that it failed (because there are several ways that they can fail).

For example I have a £5.00, G9 LED Capsule. Promised Lifespan 15 years - It keeps going so dim that there is not enough light to read by. The Seller refused to replace it as it still works and I cannot prove when I bought it, admittedly several years ago!

Forum Editor 09:34 10 Nov 2019

The technology is maturing all the time. Today's LED lights are far better than those from three or four years ago, and the process will continue. The potential for LED lighting is huge, and before long we'll be well and truly into the 'smart light' era.

We'll have control panels which will enable us to alter the intensity and the colour temperature of all the lights in the house, and the colours themselves.

chub_tor 15:16 20 Nov 2019

FE "We'll have control panels which will enable us to alter the intensity and the colour temperature of all the lights in the house, and the colours themselves."

Heaven help us......

Menzie 15:36 20 Nov 2019

We already have those, smart bulbs allow you to change the colour temperature and the intensity of the lights.

My friend has a setup where he says "game lights" when watching a hockey match. The lights dim and goes blue (the team colour).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Can't work from home? Prepare yourself to come back ready to win

How Independent Creatives Can Survive the Coronavirus Crisis

Beats Powerbeats (2020) review

Télétravail : 10 conseils pour réussir vos visioconférences