My experiences with LEDs - What do others think?

wee eddie 15:41 05 Nov 2019

I have been an enthusiastic adopter of LED Lighting in the house. They are said to last a long time but cost many times more than the bulbs they replace.

However, I have found that a considerable proportion fail before their allotted span.

My advice: Not only keep the Invoice, but also ensure that you can match the bulb with that particular invoice and keep a record of when it was first activated, and the way that it failed (because there are several ways that they can fail).

For example I have a £5.00, G9 LED Capsule. Promised Lifespan 15 years - It keeps going so dim that there is not enough light to read by. The Seller refused to replace it as it still works and I cannot prove when I bought it, admittedly several years ago!

Belatucadrus 16:11 05 Nov 2019

LED prices have dropped a lot recently, I've been using MR16s and standard bayonet equivalents for some years now. You can now buy a pack of five MR16 from Screwfix for significantly less than it used to cost for a single unit when I started buying them. You can also find a good selection in Poundland.

As to your point about them failing, I've had a couple go, but most of them seem to be hanging in there, fingers crossed.

Belatucadrus 16:12 05 Nov 2019

LED prices have dropped a lot recently, I've been using MR16s and standard bayonet equivalents for some years now. You can now buy a pack of five MR16 from Screwfix for significantly less than it used to cost for a single unit when I started buying them. You can also find a good selection in Poundland.

As to your point about them failing, I've had a couple go, but most of them seem to be hanging in there, fingers crossed.

Pine Man 16:14 05 Nov 2019

Every light fitting in my house has LEDs fitted and they must be at least15 to 20 years old, if not more.

So far, and my fingers are crossed and I'm touching wood, only one has failed!

As far as brightness goes, most LEDs usually indicate the wattage of a conventional bulb they should replace. I always fitted the next brighter bulb in the range and never had an issue.

Menzie 17:29 05 Nov 2019

I have all LED bulbs in my home and car. So far only one failure which was promptly replaced.

BT 17:43 05 Nov 2019

Every light fitting in my house has LEDs fitted and they must be at least 15 to 20 years old

You sure they're that old?

Pine Man 18:39 05 Nov 2019

You sure they're that old?

They say that time flies when you're happy and the older you get the faster it flies!

Probably a lot nearer 15 years I reckon. My wife thought we bought them last year!

Al94 20:45 05 Nov 2019

They are not Led bulbs, that's for sure!

canarieslover 21:47 05 Nov 2019

I had practically given up on led bulbs as my experiences with them were not too good. I eventually got rid of the sbc fitting that we had in the lounge and replaced it with a dedicated led fitting. It gives all,most as good a light, important for my wife, as did the chandelier with 4 x 60 watt incandescent bulbs. Early days yet as we have only had the fitting for about 8 months. Only trouble could be that there are no replaceable parts to it so if the is a failure it's going to be a throw in the bin job. I'm looking for similar types of fitting to replace others around the house but I haven't found anything we both like yet. I'll keep on looking.

mrgrumpy 11:59 06 Nov 2019

Hello to all you regulars , Eddie you have finally started a thread on something that really winds me up. After knocking 2 rooms into 1 with an open archway between the 2 , I have a living room/dining room that is 40 foot long. Dining end has 3 ceiling lights and 2 wall lights and the living room has 5 ceiling lights and 4 wall lights.

After having a few wiring problems caused by cheap candle bulbs I decided to go 100% led and that's when all the confusion started. The bulbs I purchased cost me around £8 each I thought stuff the cost just go for it.

I ordered the equivalent of 40 watt and 60 watt , the supplier did not have enough of what I wanted from the same manufacturer so he sourced them from different companies , I ordered a lot more than I needed. Anyway , coming from different makers , some bulbs were to my mind not as bright as they should have been and some were brighter.

I also have 4 flat cone shape led bulbs on my kitchen ceiling , they have never blown but I know when they are wearing out because I start to notice shadows on the walls. When I replace them its like blackpool illuminations because I got use to them getting darker.

Study the charts in this link you will see that some charts contradict each other.

click here

Old Deuteronomy 12:04 06 Nov 2019

Most of our lights are now led and, so far, none have failed but, it has only been around a year. Particularly impressive is the 6 foot tube light in the kitchen, where a 28 watt led tube (Crompton) replaces a 70 watt fluorescent and is much brighter. My wife, an ex chef, is very happy with it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans TV (2019)