Musty old jacket.

Blackhat 14:09 02 Dec 2007

I have an old Irvin style flying jacket click here which has been in storage for 15 years and smells quite musty. I have noticed that they fetch £100+ on ebay so I thought I might try for some pocket money but it needs de-mustying.

I tried all my local dry cleaners and the average fee is £45. The jacket is actually quite clean it’s just the smell I want rid of. One cleaner did recommend spraying the inside (not the leather) with febreeze and hanging it out for a few days in the wind, I have tried that and it still smells.

Any tips or ideas please?

citadel 14:21 02 Dec 2007

advertise it as having authentic smell.

Legolas 14:31 02 Dec 2007

try mixing some lemon juice with water and wiping the jacket with the solution.I know that this can be used to freshen up a room from cigarette smoke or pet smells.

Sapins 15:38 02 Dec 2007

You should turn it inside out and then hang it out for a while, in sunshine is best but it should work regardless.

mymate 19:56 02 Dec 2007

I have a jacket the same as that hanging in my wardrobe !
To get rid of smells in smelly shoes they say use Bicarbonate of soda , i would sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the inside of the jacket and leave over night . Make sure its not damp when you sprinkle . Shake it off in the morning or vacuum off.
Just off to ebay now and see how much mine is worth !

Quickbeam 14:39 03 Dec 2007

I think 'mymate's' idea would work but to simplify it, use 'Shake n' Vac' carpet deodorizer...

Quickbeam 14:49 03 Dec 2007

I can't believe that's not a made up word :)

Quickbeam 15:25 03 Dec 2007

Just had a look on ebay, if you can't get rid of the smell it will make a nice warm bed for a cat or dog... or even a tortoise.

wee eddie 15:31 03 Dec 2007

that 2nd hand Car Dealers use to make their products smell Leathery. Or even some Leather Polish might prove a stronger smell.

pj123 16:28 03 Dec 2007

My partner also says:

Bicarbonate of Soda.

Acetic Acid (Vinegar) may also be good!

Blackhat 17:21 03 Dec 2007

I thought I had made it up but my spell checker gives it as OK.

Thanks for the tips guys, things arn't going too well though, Its been out on the line overnight, I found it in my flower bed this morning, re-hung with extra pegs, just got home to find it still on the line with a nice big bird poo down the back.

Doesn't smell so bad though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?