Muslim woman refuses a handshake

Cymro. 12:52 16 Aug 2018

BBC link

Sorry that this one is on much the same line as one debated a few days ago but it's a slow new day and I dare say you will find some interest in it. A Muslim woman in Sweden has won compensation after her job interview was ended when she refused a handshake. Farah Alhajeh was applying for a job as an interpreter when she declined to shake the hand of a male interviewer for religious reasons. She placed her hand over her heart in greeting instead.The Swedish labour court ruled the company had discriminated against her and ordered it to pay 40,000 kronor ($4,350; £3,420) in compensation. Some Muslims avoid physical contact with members of the opposite sex, except for those in their immediate family. I would have thought that as someone applying for a job as an interpreter and therefore with a good standard of education she would have know that a handshake was the usual way of things in the West. So I wonder if she really wanted the job. Feeling as she obviously does about such things should she have even tried for such a job.

HondaMan 21:17 21 Aug 2018

I can see absolutely nothing wrong with a woman .. Surely that is a very sexist comment? Why should it not also apply to a man?

caccy 21:44 21 Aug 2018

When in Rome.... I've been and lived in various countries and yes I accepted "when in Rome".

Forum Editor 23:00 21 Aug 2018

HondaMan

"Surely that is a very sexist comment? Why should it not also apply to a man?"

I really hope you were not being serious.

This discussion is about a woman, not a man. Please tell me you were joking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 review

Apple has upgraded the iMac to make it twice as fast – and given the iMac Pro a quiet bump too

New iMac 2019 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

iMac 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique