MTA & COMPTIA Network Courses v Mock Exams

robthewriter 10:24 09 Feb 2018

Hi all,

First post here and this looked like the only category this question could fall under - please forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I have a situation with my studying and I'm trying to understand where I'm falling short. I took the MTA Network Fundamentals (366) Course from a 3rd party company. I watched the videos, made notes and studied pretty hard I thought. I took the mocks and there were questions regarding subjects I hadnt even heard of - for example RADIUS. I checked the course and couldn't find it.

I asked the company and they obfuscated a bit and then gave me for free the CompTIA Network+ course to help with anything I was missing. It seemed strange but I went with it as it's much bigger and more comprehensive. I've worked very hard on that and have been revising hard, over and over.

Got new mocks for both subjects and the same problem is occurring. My experience of exams is that when you get a question, you firstly know if you understand it and any possible answers. So not remembering the port number for RDP is one thing, not knowing what RDP is is something else entirely. (this is just an example - RDP is covered)

My question is, what has everyone else found with these? Are you expected to do a lot of extra research and study that's not covered in the courses, but how would you know?

Or, has my studying just been poor and I need to do better!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this...

Many thanks

Rob

Belatucadrus 15:03 09 Feb 2018

What third party company, they don't appear to inspire confidence in their abilities ?

As to the " Are you expected to do a lot of extra research and study that's not covered in the courses" bit. I would say yes to a certain extent but your third party seems to have prepared your tuition program spectacularly badly. The fact that they're giving free CompTIA courses to spackle over the holes in what they've sold you isn't on the face of it very good.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment bloquer les pop-up sur Android ?