MPs' expenses: Telegraph investigation exposes all

hssutton 22:34 07 May 2009

The telegraph should make interesting reading on Friday.

Jack Straw claimed back twice as much for his council tax as he had actually paid.

He later repaid the money and apologised for the error. :)

click here

Stuartli 14:29 12 May 2009

Lord Foulkes was on Sky News a little earlier, displaying the same contempt for anyone who opposes what the Speaker has said or done.

Arrogance and stupidity are always a most unhappy combination.

Unfortunately these people just don't get it.

Stuartli 14:33 12 May 2009

Lord Foulkes also informed us that MPs (presumably out of the goodness of their hearts) serve us almost day and night non-stop for a pittance of £64,000 a year.

He compared that to one TV presenter's £92,000 salary for doing a job that "wasn't as important" in his view..:-)

carver 15:11 12 May 2009

I think that what has made all this worse is that Gorbals Mick tried to supress this information from coming into public knowledge, he tried every thing including going to court so it could be with held.

It will be very hard for some of the more honest MPs to even be believed by the public.

There are some very good

carver 15:15 12 May 2009

(must have pressed wrong key)

There are some very good MPs who believe in the system and do try to work within it, but even they have not been able to do any thing about it, they have just been told to not rock the boat and keep out of it.

Well maybe now they can do some thing and help clear up this whole sorry mess.

hssutton 11:44 13 May 2009

This "MP's sticking their nose in the trough" is nothing new I remember back a few years when Blair was at it. So a little seaching came up with this link about his property wheeler dealings from 2006.

click here

Forum Editor 19:18 13 May 2009

You know what? One of the easiest things in the world is to say 'I told you so', and it serves little purpose, other than to reveal the gloater as someone whose ego is in need of a boost.

Before the beginning of the year there was nobody in this forum - not even you - who had any idea about what has so evidently been going on, but suddenly we find ourselves inundated with experts on the subject, many of them professing to have had a greater or lesser degree of foresight. The truth is that this has come as a bit of a bombshell, although with the benefit of hindsight we can all look shrewdly into the distance and say 'I always knew something wasn't right'.

The saddest fact of all is that this issue is shameful for us all, it's our country in which it has happened, and our Members of parliament - the ones we voted for - who have been revealed as being self-serving when it comes to expense claims. Internationally we will all be judged by it, although in many countries it will simply be a case of 'so they're the same us as after all'.

Sitting back in smugsville and gloating over other peoples' frailties revealed is one of the less attractive aspects of human nature. We need to stop rubbernecking as if at the scene of a road crash and do something about the problem. I have a feeling that the next General election might be an interesting experience.

Forum Editor 19:21 13 May 2009

To be honest, I don't have much time for a lot of what Gandhi is supposed to have said. Anyone can make that kind of remark, it's like saying 'Summer ought not to be a time of rainfall and low temperatures'.

Basil Fawlty had a way of describing such statements.

namtas 23:43 13 May 2009

fourm member most of these people are educated people, I know and they know what is morally wrong, and I know that they know whether or not something is morally acceptable or not. please don't tell us they acted within the rules so that is ok, they wrote the rules, they created the weakness in the system and then appear to have used every ruse to exploit it.

Picklefactory 08:17 14 May 2009

...regarding the 'within the rules' rubbish. When this can of worms was first opened and there were only limited aspects available to the public, I could accept that argument to some degree, but I cannot and WILL NOT accept that a supposedly intelligent person in a position of such responsibility could 'mistakenly' claim £16500 for a mythical property. I said the same in an earlier post, you can tart that up in whatever fancy dress you like, it is theft plain and simple and the fact that they have made their own rules to allow blatant theft is absolutely no excuse whatsoever. In any other walk of life that would be simple fraud and would incur police interest. I sincerely hope this does, but they will spout their 'rules'. Are these rules available to the public? If not, then they bloody well should be.

By their rules it seems I could come round to your house tomorrow and steal your car, and if by any strange circumstance (Damned leaks) I get found out, I can just say sorry and give it you back, there you go, all is OK with the world and I am still a lovely person, except I'm not blessed with a rule to say that is OK for a lowly minion like me. However, I still have enough morals to see that that is a wrong and low thing to do. Hooray for our wonderful leaders, what a shining example they set to the whole world.

I always look for things to feel proud of in our nation, and this is yet another dent in my pride, as our much vaunted democratic parliament are nothing but a bunch of crooks. They don't blatantly steal wealth in a cruel way as in some African nations etc, they are far too civilised, they just steal it quietly and politely by setting their own set of values and keeping it very, very quiet.

I feel ashamed by association, as they represent us in so many ways, and if the worst of them are not dealt with in the same way that you or I would be dealt with, I will be absolutely livid.

Quickbeam 08:23 14 May 2009

Who's turn is it to be exposed today...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !