MPs' expenses: Telegraph investigation exposes all

hssutton 22:34 07 May 2009

The telegraph should make interesting reading on Friday.

Jack Straw claimed back twice as much for his council tax as he had actually paid.

He later repaid the money and apologised for the error. :)

click here

I am Spartacus 22:55 07 May 2009

To be fair he has a country to help run and can't waste time on trivial things like expenses:o)

carver 06:42 08 May 2009

Another link to it here click here

carver 06:46 08 May 2009

Don't know if any body posted about this but very interesting click here

If true nice little earner.

hssutton 09:15 08 May 2009

It's not just ministers that have been making these claims, it would appear that most MPs have been feathering their "nests" at our expense.

I guess any of us doing the same thing would have resulted in a criminal conviction.

oresome 09:41 08 May 2009

Apparently there is a Code of Conduct for MPs. The first principle is: Selflessness.

"Holders of public office should take decisions solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends."

spuds 10:37 08 May 2009

All I can say is that our MP's must have good accountants, or perhaps not so good in some cases.

I help out with some pensioners council tax claims, and its a pure headache dealing with 'caring' council's and the hold on the purse strings. Try to claim to much, and they will prosecute, claim to little and its either silence or " you are entitled!".

sunnystaines 10:39 08 May 2009

The way the MP's have abused expences that should justify them being scrapped full stop, if they do not like plently of others waiting to replace them.

will any be prosecuted?

spuds 11:59 08 May 2009

Either way, its a bit like the commercial world. You pay the best person for the job, whether elected or not. And a few perks on the way, can achieve better performance ;o))

I do note that in todays media, some of our bankers are getting big bonus's and early retirement pensions because of their achievements, so why not our elected UK or Euro MP's.

namtas 12:12 08 May 2009

Surely all expense claims should be vetted before payment, and if they are and mistakes are still getting through them someone else as well as the MPs should be on the carpet. Also, are these accounts not audited, is so why does this not pick up the alleged errors. Seems to me that accountability is non existent and it is a free for all.

Picklefactory 13:30 08 May 2009

... but it all keeps boiling down to the same response 'it was done within the rules' but naive as it is, I still feel that public representatives, at this high a level, have a duty to lead by example, and whilst it is clear to all that the rules are so wide open to profiteering, it is very easy to 'justify' on technicalities, it also seems clear to me that there should be a moral issue here.

All of these ministers are highly intelligent people (At least I hope so, for our sake) and they will all have a thorough understanding of the basic purpose of these expenses, and for them all to be constantly falling back on the the argument of 'it was within the rules' only goes to show to me, that they cannot justify this exorbitant spending any other way as being within the intended purpose of the expense system.

I must admit to never having had huge respect in the integrity of many of our MPs, just down to their inherent lack of general honesty, but for me this has put them in a whole new light, again, probably rather naive of me, but I now have absolutely zero respect owing to their inherent lack of specific honesty with regard to expenses.

Their hypocrisy is stupendous in preaching the cause against benefit thieves etc, many of whom probably 'twist' the benefit system loopholes in much the same way as our much respected MPs make use of the blancmange like flexibilty of the MP allowance system.

Whether they are within the rules or not, I feel many of them are a disgrace simply for choosing to use them in the way that they have.

I am waiting with baited breath for the first MP to provide medical evidence of his/her proven physical lack of moral fibre and a malformed public duty gland which caused their decisions.

I'm sure it is coming along soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans