Motorists should be charged for using the roads

Cymro. 11:56 24 Jan 2018

BBC link

It seems that the suggestion is that Motorists should be charged for using the UK's road network based on personal circumstances. It is not so much the personal circumstances that concerns me at present but the very fact that such a charge seems to be assumed to be inevitable.

wee eddie 12:07 24 Jan 2018

We already are. Fuel Tax.

However it is frequently the poorer among us that use the older vehicles which are less efficient, so pay relatively more.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 24 Jan 2018

Fuel tax and Road tax

oresome 14:01 24 Jan 2018

I believe that it is right, in these circumstances, to ask motorists to make increased contributions to general revenue, and I therefore propose to increase the rate of duty on cars from £15 to £17 10s. a year. For the national average mileage, about 7,500 miles a year, the extra cost will work out at less than a tenth of ld. a mile.

The above is a quote from a budget speech by Callaghan in 1965.

I think I only pay £20 a year now. No wonder the road are crumbling.

hastelloy 14:01 24 Jan 2018

I have always believed that Road Tax should be abolished and something added to fuel. I know a significant part of fuel cost is already tax but this would ensure that those who make most use of the roads pay the most.

Forum Editor 16:50 24 Jan 2018

There's no doubt in my mind that the more you use the roads, the more you should pay in tax and the simplest way of achieving that is to increase fuel tax.

Menzie 17:22 24 Jan 2018

A friend of mine has a large sedan with a 3.5L engine. He currently has to pay road taxes on this. His company pays for his petrol and toll fees (40 miles each way).

If road tax got added to fuel here he'd be laughing. Not only would his company be paying for his fuel; they'd be paying his road tax as well for him to get to and from work.

canarieslover 18:13 24 Jan 2018

Putting the tax on fuel will make no difference to the drivers of electric vehicles as they are allowed to charge at domestic rates. As this is the direction that the government want all vehicles to go then they must find an alternative way of getting the revenue. Currently electric vehicles are just a drain on government resources as they are being subsidised unlike fossil fuel vehicles. As I have said before on previous threads it's a question of getting in early if you want to own an electric vehicle and make the best of cheap fuel costs. Sooner or later the government are going to need to make you pay.

x123 19:23 24 Jan 2018

I average around 25,000 a year and put in around 50 litres a week. I think the government take about 60p a litre so thats about £30 a week or £1500 a year. Thats reasonable for the ammount of use I use on the roads. Where the government slipped up was tp stop putting the extra 2p on fuel in the budget.

bumpkin 20:43 24 Jan 2018

I would be pepared to pay more if we could have decent roads instead of potholes everywhere that can ruin your tyres and even the wheel itself and take forever to get repaired.

bumpkin 20:46 24 Jan 2018

I suppose it depends where one lives but I pay the same as any others in road and fuel tax.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?