Most of us probably use the @ symbol every day.

Forum Editor 13:53 15 Jan 2018

It has become a very familiar aspect of our email connuications, but do you know it was first used around 700 years ago?

BT 17:33 15 Jan 2018

Must be a quiet day @ the Office.☺

Aitchbee 19:24 15 Jan 2018

Slightly related but I find the ampersand symbol [the one above the 7] fiendishly difficult to 'draw' free-hand as I always make a dog's breakfast of it. The @ symbol, on the other hand, is simple and a joy to write ... could probably do a line of them with my eyes shut.

csqwared 20:16 15 Jan 2018

Always had that problem myself, can never get it to look right freehand. I seem to remember from my old printing days it's actually a ligature formed by 'e' and 't', the word 'et' (and) in latin.

Archie44 18:35 25 Jan 2018

I couldn't write it properly when bookkeeping in the ledgers the old fashioned way Gone is the quill pen alas @ the old days

canarieslover 20:08 25 Jan 2018

I'm waiting for Quickbeam to post "I'll get my @ then".

Forum Editor 22:50 25 Jan 2018

canarieslover

Excellent!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?