Most unexpected thing to happen in a film.

Brumas 14:11 06 Jan 2019
Answered

Generally, once a week, I trawl through the old films on the ‘Talking Pictures channel’ and inevitably find some gems e.g. Ice Cold in Alex, Dunkirk, The League of Gentlemen etc.

I found this unusually titled “Once a Jolly Swagman” starring Dirk Bogarde, Thora Hird, Sid James and Bill Owen, about an aspiring speedway rider, set in London in the 50s (the actual speedway track being New Cross) I was therefore most surprised/gobsmacked when the crowd at the track all started singing ‘On Ilkla Moor Baht’ At - albeit rather poorly in a southern accent tha knaws ;o}}

As an aside, one of the sons was about to go over to Spain and fight in the International Brigade and he tells his poor, working class mum, “if anyone asks I have gone to France for the weekend”! Strewth, he couldn’t afford to go to Southend for the day never mind Spain for the duration!! Have any of you experienced anything similar in films, or indeed real life?

Aitchbee 19:42 06 Jan 2019

Going back a bit [mid sixties again] but whilst on a family holiday to Saltcoates I kept pestering my big sister to take me to the cinema to see "Harem Holiday" but I was very disappointed, 'cos I was expecting to see one of my childhood TV hero's called "Hiram Holliday".

Turned out to be a very boring Elvis Presley film and shock horror Hiram Holliday didn't make an appearance. What a bummer!

click here

Quickbeam 06:17 07 Jan 2019

Brumas

The new lady Killers is the worst remake ever!

It completely loses the innocent gentile element of all the Ealing black comedies and replaces it with an in your face American harshness that completely loses the element of pleasantness of all the characters...

Another one that's good for classic '50s London street scenes is The League of Gentlemen with Jack Hawkins. Not to be confused with the TV comedy!

Quickbeam 06:37 07 Jan 2019
  Aitchbee 15:46 07 Jan 2019

The famous cut from the bone to the spaceship about ten minutes into 2001: A Space Odyssey still gives me goosebumps every time I rewatch it.

Quickbeam 16:06 07 Jan 2019

An unexpected appearance in Ice Cold In Alex is by Michael Caine.

Not a lot of people know that...

Aitchbee 16:16 07 Jan 2019

Caine said John Mills told him [Caine] that he [Mills] couldn't act when he had to look up to very tall actors!

Belatucadrus 17:35 07 Jan 2019

Closing line of Some like it Hot.

Well nobody's perfect

I suspect much of middle America had a fit of apoplexy.

Click Here

john bunyan 18:28 07 Jan 2019

Gone with the Wind closing line: “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn”

Quickbeam 19:00 07 Jan 2019

Closing line of Kind Hearts & Coronets, "My memoirs... my memoirs..."

Brumas 22:02 07 Jan 2019
Answer

Just about everything in Blazing Saddles!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)